1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Thinking about a new Camera

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Toka, 22 Feb 2012.

1. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Hey all

I'm thinking about getting myself a camera. I'll be using it for general tourist duties, but I also want to get into photography as a hobby.

I thought that a compact system camera would best fit my needs and budget. Not too intimidating for a novice photographer but still allow me room to experiment as I learn more. I've been doing a fair bit of research and the Lumix G3 seems like a good match for me, but for a similarish amount of money I could get an nex 5n. Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2, or think that I should be looking towards a different camera?

I'd like to avoid a DSLR as I think the learning curve would be a little too steep and they are kinda big, but I'm open to the idea of a compact with good image quality (could spend the difference on a lavish evening out for me and Mrs T.)

Many thanks for any and all advice :)

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I don't have any experience with either of the cameras you asked about (although, I started out using the FZ 10 and 20). For cameras in that size, performance, I would consider the Canon G12 or Fuji x10 unless you are determined to get a body that can handle different lenses.

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Despite actually being big, I really don't like people being put off a DSLR because it is big.

Honestly, an entry level DSLR set is your best option. I was recommended either the D40, 50 or 60 when I first took the plunge, and managed to get the D50 body at an excellent price! I also got a D40 lens kit on this forum which has been fantastic!

Sure, it will be a learning curve, it always will be. However, for your classic tourist duties, as it was for me, the D50, like any other entry level DSLR, still makes a great point and shoot when I feel lazy. :D

Hope that helps a little. :)

Toka likes this.
  4. October

October Mariachi Style

If you're open to any learning at all I would say don't be put off by a dslr, there's always full-auto til you feel like experimenting - which you then have the option of doing! If you start small and eventually feel constrained you have to upgrade.

5. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Thanks for the honest words :) Tbh the svelteness of the Compact System Cameras (CSCs) is more of a bonus than a 'must have'. I was thinking about a CSC as I thought it would be a comfy halfway house between the point and shoot compact and the precision tool DSLR.

I'm more worried about buying a tool that is a bit too far beyond my grasp, i dont want to spend months frustrated because i cant set the camera up to take a decent shot in the conditions. But I guess it can't be any worse than Dwarf Fortress.

It's food for thought, I will put my thinking cap on.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Like I said, an entry level DSLR still makes for a great point and shoot!

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

As always, I would recommend going to a local camera store to try each of your potential options out. The NEX-5N is probably the better camera when it comes to image quality, however its autofocus is a little lacking compared to most other mirrorless CSCs, and personally I find the balance of the very small body with the huge Sony lenses to be quite strange. Micro four thirds on the other hand has a great range of lenses of all shapes and sizes, with image quality somewhere between that of a compact camera and a DSLR with an APS-C sized sensor. I also wouldn't rule out something like the Nikon J1; don't listen to the negative press it gets from the sensor snobs - it's actually a very capable camera with the best autofocus of any CSC, one of the better movie modes with full manual control, compact lens lineup (though not very extensive yet), and cool functions like extremely high-speed shooting and slow-motion video which no other CSCs offer.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

It depends, really. Do you just want a little camera that you can take on holiday - one that will easily slip into your back pocket? Or do you want a camera that you can take on holiday, but may require a camera bag of some sort?

I always question when people say something like, "I want to get into photography as a hobby." At what level do you want to get into photography? Do you just want to take well exposed holiday photos with good compositions, but still travel light? You can do that with a P&S. Do you want to get into manual exposures? You can still do that with some P&S cameras. Do you want to start investing in lenses and spend quantities of time processing photos? Then perhaps a DSLR is for you.

9. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Apart from tourism, I want to spend a couple of hours at the weekend taking photos and I'm fine with having to do some post processing (though taking things simply to start with). If I bought a DSLR I would look for a photography course - can get them cheaply through work. I'd also want to play with effects like tilt-shift (narrow depth of field?) but I don't mind if I do that via photoshop, some sort of clever lens, or an effect built into the camera.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Unless you're keen on spending quite a bit of money, you're best replicating the tilt-shift effect in an image editing program. Actual tilt-shift lenses tend to cost a lot.