1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Thinking of swapping SLR for compact... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Mister_Tad, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

After having come to the realisation that I've used my SLR once in the last 18 months, I'm considering just selling up and swapping it for a high end compact (Think Fuji x100 or Leica X1).

My reasoning behind never using it is simply the size - I love the control and image quality it affords over my little Canon Ixus, however the Ixus has taken tenfold more photos, and even my phone is currently placing higher than the SLR.

I'm thinking a combination of the image quality, sensor and controls of an SLR in a near-pocketable package is a match made in heaven, though seems that nearly everyone on here is a member of the SLR camp - whyso?

My 70-200 gets so few outings due to size and weight that nearly all of my photos are on the walkabout lens (17-85IS), so while the fixed 35mm equiv of the Fuji x100 for example may be a compromise, I think it's one I can cope with.

Am I being an idiot? :confused:

2. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I think that the few people who write to this part of the forum are either professional photographers or quite passionate about their hobby, so owning and using a dslr is a bit of a no-brainer.

I myself am after image quality (albeit with a limited budget), so I don't mind lugging a lot of stuff if it ensures me the best image quality I can get. For you it seems that the heavier stuff gets left behind more often, so maybe there is a point of choosing another type of camera.

I do however suggest that you try your options out before giving up on your dslr.

I put my gear on a scale just now and my backpack is about 6.4kg and if I bring my Gitzo tripod with me, that's about 2.2kg more. So that's my typical "walk around" gear which becomes much more if I need my lighting equipment, but in that case I'm typically using a car to move around.

I'm also adding a few lenses in the future, so it'll be more than 6.4kg in my backpack at that point :hehe:

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

The Fuji X100 is brilliant and I wouldn't let the fixed focal length lens put you off... you've got two things on the end of your legs for zooming! One other option that might be worth considering is something like a Sony NEX-5 or Panasonic G3 - both are pretty damn small and have the flexibility to change from a (relatively) compact pancake lens to a zoom without too much trouble. They also have decent-sized sensors (the NEX has an APS-C sensor) and perform well in low light.

I've got many different cameras that I use for different circumstances - everything from a basic travel zoom to a large format view camera, with just about every format but medium format covered. I carry what's suitable for the occasion and for you it sounds like you're not carrying a camera because it's too heavy/bulky. If I only had the large format camera I'd only take a few pictures a month because, with all the associated equipment and my outdoor gear, it requires a 70 litre rucksack to haul everything round. It's actually lighter than my DSLR bag, but it's much bulkier because I've got 8-10 5x4 inch dark slides, the camera, dark cloth and what not to carry.

I'll carry that if all I care about is image quality because with scans being equivalent to about 100 megapixels, there's nothing (apart from a very expensive digital back) that comes close to it in terms of resolution, colour depth and quality. However, I've got images that I love just as much that I've taken on my Panasonic LX3 and that I've sold as prints (albeit a bit smaller in size than those I can print from the view camera or DSLR)... IMO, it's not really about the gear and instead is about the person behind the camera - and the best camera is the one you've got with you (to paraphrase Chase Jarvis's words when he launched Camera+ for iPhone).

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

who would give up dSLRs in a heart beat for a smaller kit with equal performance if clients would let me.

I think the x100 looks tasty myself.

Edit: If it weren't for the sensor issues and the price, the M9 would do me well. But the Leica tax is ridiculous. But 35mm, lens history and body size make it perfect.

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

True to a certain extent, but that also depends on what you shoot. If it's street, a rangefinder is a good choice, but I have big hands and smaller cameras just don't feel right in my hands.

A bigger body is also must if you slap on a bigger lens. Finally I wouldn't give up my vertical grip for the world since I'm shooting a lot vertically.

Horses for courses of course, but I for one enjoy using a bit bigger gear (it could be lighter though).

6. Mister_Tad

I'm sufficiently convinced I'm not mental, thanks for the input, gents.

X100 here I come, anyone in the market for some well loved Canon gear? :worried:

7. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

I really wouldn't want to swap an SLR for a compact, even if the compact is high end. SLR's have much better controls, features and more custom control of the aperture and shutter speeds, also the optical zooms on them are dramaticallylonger than the compacts, but then again it really depends on what your shooting.

If you are wanting a camera to take on hliday or just out and about then a compact may be more suited to your needs.

Although if you're wanting to take higher quality photos of special events or places then I would reccomend a SLR.

8. Mister_Tad

My understanding was the the top-end compacts offer all of the manual controls I'm used to. Granted the prime lens will take some getting used to, but as Tim quite rightly states, I've got legs! I'm willing to compromise on tweaking (all I really want is manual shutter/aperture) and focal lengths if I can just chuck it in a bag (e.g. a general purpose bag, not a camera bag, full of camera gear)

I'm not willing to compromise on image quality, which is why I'd only be looking at the APS-C compacts (Leica X1, Fuji X100 and Sony NEX-5, nothing I'm missing, is there?)

I no longer go out for the specific purpose of shooting, which is when the SLR got the most use. I'll occasionally lug it along to a sporting event or the like, and I can accept I'm not going to get the reach & IQ of the 70-200mm in a compact for these cases. What I do want, however, is the IQ of the SLR for the 90% of occasions when I would have taken my SLR along if it was only smaller, and have settled for the Ixus.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
  9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

The thing I don't get with cameras like the X100 or other high end 'compacts' is they really aren't all that small. If you're talking about a semi-pro DSLR with a massive 2.8 zoom then yeah, that's on a whole other scale, but when compared to a smaller DSLR with a fairly compact zoom lens the difference really isn't that great. You certainly aren't going to fit either of them in your pocket when you go out so are going to have to carry them in a bag or on a strap round your neck, which is the main difference for me in practical terms. I'd always rather have a compact which really is a compact that I don't mind taking anywhere for times I'm not that fussed about image quality (even then, small cameras like the S95 offer pretty decent IQ) and just want to be able to take photos, then have the capability and versatility of a DSLR when I go on holiday, for events, for shots that I wouldn't be able to get with a compact or when I just want the better IQ that a DSLR provides.

But then that's just me, and if you're not using your DSLR at all like you say then there's probably not a great deal of point you keeping all the gear if it's just going to sit in your bag all the time. I just think the larger 'compact' cameras are bit of an odd halfway house between a true compact and a DSLR which has the advantages of neither.

10. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I'd say that the Fuji x100 is a lovely camera (albeit with some quirks), but if you look past the "wow" factor, there might be better options out there.

Of course if you specifically want a rangefinder and the M9 is out of the question, go with the Fuji.

I'm not a huge Sony fan, but they do make an "EVIL" camera with an APS-C sensor which is great. I'd probably go with that since you can slap on a pancake lens for general usage, which keeps the camera small, but you'd also have an option to use longer lenses on it if needed.

Just my 0,02$

11. Mister_Tad

I wasn't convinced by the NEX-5 initially, though am more so now, perhaps I was just pegging Sony as an electronics manufacturer as opposed to a camera manufacturer (not that it should necessarily matter), but the plethora of glowing reviews suggest differently. The pancake plus the 18-200 is certainly an interesting combination - in the pocket when you want, or take along the 18-200 when I've got a bag with me. It strikes me that a revision of the NEX-5 akin to the new NEX-C3 may be imminent as well.

I think I'll have to handle the X100 to decide if it's compact enough for me, it certainly is shiny, though I'm determined not to be seduced by looks alone!

Leica M9 is most definitely out of the question, looking at £1000 give or take a few hundred!

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Leica M9 body @ £4900!
    Fuji X100 @ £949!

Am I on a different internet? :)

13. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I like the look of the NEX but the menu system has killed it for me it looks too have the best IQ and sensor of its class but if you cant use it properly such is the menus its crap.

My vote goes too the x100 also :)

Side note what is your 70-200 ?

14. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I've been wanting to get a pro camera for yonks now (been towing a bridge camera along for too long now) but have become convinced I'd be better off with a compact system camera on the basis that I'd want something I could have in my bag when I'm out and about and not just a camera for when I'm feeling all arsty and pretentious.

I had the same sentiments about buying the NEX as Sony aren't typically a big player in the SLR world but the reviews and style convinced me otherwise. Right now I'd probably go for an NEX-C3 ifi had to choose on (or an EP3 if I had the cash) but it might be worth holding out for the NEX-7 Sony allegedly are cooking up in the labs
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/21/sonys-a77-continues-to-tease-brings-a65-and-nex-7-along-for-th/

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Quite some time ago I went from Nikon D90 to a Panasonic FZ38 bridge camera, and it lasted for about a week... the IQ of the compact sensor was dire in comparison to the crop sensor on the D90. Granted, there are much better compacts than the FZ38, but compacts don't rival the IQ of DSLRs - that's the trade-off.

One thing I've learned is that IQ cannot be reconciled with "compact" - my 1Ds2 testifies to that. I've never seen another camera come close (crop DSLRs included), and that thing is like a tank. I hate that my gear weighs so much if I'm walking, but it's worth it for the IQ. If you think you can accommodate the lower IQ of a compact camera, then you'll be fine. :)

16. Mister_Tad

Thanks for all of the input.

After having played with the candidates, I've all but settled on a NEX. I'm in no massive rush, so going to see what the NEX-7 and NEX-5 refresh bring to the table and make a call then.

Anyone that is interested some Canon SLR bits and bobs, head over to FS :thumb:

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

For me, after seeing the results I get with the compacts vs the dslr, it really is a no brainer. The exposure will always need some tweaking for anything other than broad daylight snap shots, so not having those manual settings, that dof etc etc etc, just doesn't do it for me. I do however find myself taking the odd snap shot with my wildfire s mobile phone, which does a good job for those broad daylight photos, but other than that, I love the results from my dslr too much to let the stuff go. Even if I go through a rutt, (haven't gone 18 months but hey), I know there will be something I wish I had the dslr for later on.

Good luck with whatever you go for. I've heard Nikon might be announcing a few things at the end of august, perhaps a EVF camera similar to the panasonis gf-1/nex type stuff.

18. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I would love NEX but the menu is just too complicated I'm also waiting to see what the do with it :) as its a good size and a great sensor :).

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I bought a NEX-5 a month and a half ago to be my 'everywhere' camera. I got the 16mm fixed lens, and splurged on the optical viewfinder. It's a great camera, with great image quality and handling, and I like the fixed lens size.

The menus are a bit cumbersome, but equally, once the camera is set up you don't have to go in to them often. Most common controls are easily accessible, and there are two customisable hotkeys as well.

Sony also appear to be committed to the system, with new lenses on the way (I'm interested in the 35mm macro), and the rumblings over the NEX-7.

I still have my dSLR kit for the 'serious' work, but the NEX is a fantastic little camera that blows a compact out the water, and makes more sense than the low end dSLRs.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2011
  20. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

More sense than a D3100 and 20mm voigtlander pancake lens? Hmm..