1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Colorful SSD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Euro_Bucks, 16 Jul 2018.

1. Euro_Bucks

Euro_Bucks What's a Dremel?

Currently using a 120Gb OCZ Arc 100. I couldn't say anything about its performance all I know is my PC boots faster, games loads quicker and tranfer rates are much better.

But 120Gb sure is not enough. Looking forward upgrading to a higher capacity and found this
    deal https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A2YQSLQDVS64OR&merchant=A2YQSLQDVS64OR&qid=1531736318

I mean it's the cheapest I can find. Gonna make the 120Gb as drive for OS and the 320Gb for games.
    Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It's probably DRAM-less, which is a drawback.

I'd recommend looking towards the Crucial MX300 500GB as it is $100 or so right now.

If you're willing to splurge a little more, you can get a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB for <$120 at Newegg.

Euro_Bucks likes this.
  3. Euro_Bucks

Is there anyway I could tell if a certain SSD, dram-less or not.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Specs on manufacturer website and reviews, although in the case of the Colorful SL500 the first certainly isn't an option as the manufacturer website is about as barebones as they come...
    https://en.colorful.cn/contents/168/46.html#

Euro_Bucks likes this.
  5. Euro_Bucks

Okay, so assuming it was dram-less, how would it be compared with the others when it comes to speed.
    Like less 100 Mb/s or something?

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Amazon Prime day have a wide range of 250 and 500GB SSDs for a good chunk under RRP. Worth checking it out if you got Prime.

Euro_Bucks likes this.
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The impact will be mostly in latency rather than pure bandwidth, the problem is that latency is where you feel the speed difference, but that comes with the caveat that even poorly performing SSDs feel almost the same as fast ones in real world use, so the actual performance impact from that alone wouldn't be too big.

What I'd be more concerned about is the lack of real life durability information and the uncertainty over what would happen if it fails (how good or bad is their customer service and so on), while it may be a bit of a cheap reaction to simply buy an SSD from a trusted manufacturer like Samsung or Crucial instead, it would be what I would do because the price difference is so small that the risk simply isn't worth it.

Euro_Bucks likes this.
  8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Colorful is big in China and Asia, but I wouldn’t give them my money. Reliability is much more important for me.

Euro_Bucks likes this.
  9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

For everything from graphicscards, fans, cases to aio's but when it comes to storage they are very much noobs.
    And yep, I wouldn't give them money for an SSD either, maybe if it was half price compared to established SSD brands, but for a saving that equates to a pint of beer? Nah.

10. Euro_Bucks

As a typical end-user who often gets confused with numbers and only knows (feels) the difference between an SSD and an HDD, I appreciate the simplification.
    I am using one from OCZ, been doing fine for almost two years. Had 240gbs from Crucial and Adata before, both didn't last a year. I'd say there has been confusion on my part
    on which brands offers reliable SSD's, established or not.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

OCZ actually makes for a rather interesting case study when it comes to reliability.

They where well established due to other products (mostly RAM) when they entered the SSD game.
    Initially all was well with OCZ SSDs, then at some point they started releasing firmware updates that wreaked havoc and ruined their reputation, eventually leading them in financial trouble and being bought out by Toshiba.
    But ironically if you didn't bother updating the firmware on the OCZ SSDs they worked perfectly fine where as those who did update the firmware suffered the highest failure rates ever among SSD owners.
    Of course since being bought up by Toshiba a couple years ago things are being run differently.

Either way, these days Samsung, Crucial and Intel are essentially the well trusted big boys when it comes to SSDs.

Euro_Bucks likes this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And speaking purely anecdotally, I had a 120GB OCZ Solid 3 that I ran for *years* without difficulty, then sold it on - and as far as I'm aware is still doing its new owner proud. (I replaced it with a remanufactured 240GB Crucial which died after only about two months in use. Bah!)

13. Euro_Bucks

Been digging the archives here to find a review for Colorful unfortunately I found none.
    This place is one of my go-to sites when it comes to reviews.

Arboreal likes this.