1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Three builds for gaming / streaming ring help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pubkrooz, 5 Oct 2017.

1. Pubkrooz

Pubkrooz I Break Stuff

Hey Guys,

I have been asked to spec up a PC for a friends son primarily for gaming and streaming.

I've done an admit quick search for the last thirty mins or so and nothing I've found quite fits so i figured if ask.

Aside from that all i have to go on are the want a low end (£300) Medium (£500) and what they call 'gold plated' (£800), if i had to pick one id say shoot for the middle five hundred

I honestly have no idea where to begin especially the low ball one I'm tempted to discount it as no matter what i try i cant make something i expect to be able to stream at that price so i would appreciate some advise.

Budget:
    £300, £500, £800 (Including peripherals)
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming, & Streaming
    Parts required: Base Tower, Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse (and i assume a capture card?), I'm not sure speakers would be useful for streaming but maybe some cheaper ones? ignore webcam, mic and/or headset for now i will do those separately after the fact.
    Previous build information (list details of parts): N/A
    Monitor resolution: Safe to assume it would need two monitors, i feel anything above 1080p would be excessive.
    Storage requirements: I'm also assuming it will want pretty big storage in-case they want to record / edit streams but i don't even have a ballpark, 2tb? and maybe an ssd boot drive
    Will you be overclocking: No
    Any motherboard requirements No idea? but nothing springs to mind.
    Extra information about desired system:

Apologies if I'm a bit vague I'm out of the loop on hardware (especially for streaming)

Thanks
    Pub

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I can tell you now that £300 for a self-built gaming-capable PC with enough leftover grunt to stream, two 1080p monitors, and peripherals just ain't going to happen. You're looking at £70 a monitor assuming you don't go second-hand, and that's for one that'll be pretty poor for gaming - that's £140 of your £300 budget gone for starters and a Windows 10 licence'll set you back another £90 leaving you with just £70 for the PC parts and all peripherals.

You might be able to squeeze something in to the £500 budget if you pick up the PC second-hand with a Windows licence already included: this is £200, but would need better graphics for gaming. Assuming you get the same crappy monitors as before, you're up to £340 leaving you with £160 to play with for an upgraded graphics card and whatever peripherals you need.

You won't need a capture card if you're talking about streaming PC games, as they're captured in software. You'd only need one if you're wanting to stream console games.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Budgets are way, way out for a new build, especially given recent price hikes.

For a dual-monitor gaming PC, including all peripherals and software, £800 is realistically your entry point, unfortunately. You're gonna need to go 2nd hand for a lot of bits, dude!

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

Honestly, if he is streaming he needs a decent computer both in terms of CPU and GPU.
    Ideally he will be going with a 6 core CPU. If his stream looks like crap nobody is going to watch it.
    As others have said, even £800 will need a lot of compromises. I assume he will need a gaming mouse and keyboard (macro keys depending on the type of game), microphone and speakers or a gaming headset (or both), webcam, controller, 2x monitor AND the actual desktop. I would say he is looking at spending at least £300 on the monitors, £150 on peripherals and another £500-600 on a desktop.

5. Pubkrooz

Pubkrooz I Break Stuff

Thanks all,

realistically then all three budgets are suspect, what ballpark would i be looking at for an 'average' machine, and what sort of specs am i looking at?

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Z600-D...272854?hash=item58fee0e216:g:y6YAAOSwol5Y23W0

And

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-06e-in.html

Would be amazing for streaming. 12 cores 24 threads and finally the 1060 has dropped back in line price wise. I would then pick up a cheap SSD for £40 or so used, something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-SSD...336006&hash=item33d7997319:g:NAEAAOSw67lZrbBu

And you're laughing really.