1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Time for a career change, what do you do?

Discussion in 'General' started by Parge, 16 Jul 2012.

1. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I work on a Help Desk for a market leading open-platform VMS solution provider (Milestone). I've been doing this or desktop support for 10 years with no education - apart from ITIL v3 that I bullied my way on to before an old company fired half it's employee's. Thank god I did, as mentioned above, it's bloody useful to have.

I was thrown out/left school at 17 without completing A-levels and went in to full time work in the middle of London, I'd been working my summers there since I was 15. This gave me a solid back-bone in the IT industry as I was working for a very small company so I built PC's and repaired pretty much all hardware that went bang. In hindsight I wish I'd kept it but my boss was impossible to live with and never delivered on promises of education etc

This job is particularly interesting compared to the others due to the opportunity to learn about so much in the CCTV, surveillance, VMS world and the camera technology to boot.

Saying that, I wish I had got a trade instead as I have come to resent sitting down all day long and hanker for a hands-on job. Unfortunately the market in Denmark is stagnant and having a house and kid to support - I'm financially locked.

Ah it pays to listen to your peers and it pays not to be young and think you've fall in love but done is done..