1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tis the season for an upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheepgoat, 1 Jan 2005.

1. sheepgoat

sheepgoat What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone!! its been a while since i've been around. i've been using my current setup for a while now and its time for an upgrade. my system is:

amd xp 1600 (ax7 heatsink i think)
    epox 8k3a+
    geforce 6800 (got it for xmas, was a ti4200)

i need to upgrade my cpu and motherboard so it can keep up with my video card. when i do finish upgrading i will be giving my old parts to my gf so she can play WoW. now, i can't upgrade both parts at the same time, don't have the money. i can spend about 150 on each part.

could i go on an upgrade my cpu and be able to use it on my motherboard or will i need to get a new mobo first? i'm more worried about stability than overclocking, but i can't leave out the overclocking :D

thanks guys!

2. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

where are you from... $150 is considerably less than £150, you see.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If you can, a s939 3000+ winchester and a cheap socket 939 mobo. Obvously not nForce4 since your card isn't PCIE. I got my 3000+ for about $150 (US) and you can get 939 mobos fairly cheap so it looks like it would fit your budget.

5. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

problem with that firehead is as i see it, hes only upgradeing 1 thing at a time.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

true, but I figure he's better off waiting till he can do it all at once and do that rather than just get a faster socket A processor.

If you do want to stick with socket A and you're in the US I have an NF7-S that became recently available along with an XP Mobile 2600+ which has done 2.4GHz on extremely quiet air. PM me if interested.

7. sheepgoat

sheepgoat What's a Dremel?

just so y'all know i am from the us so its only $150. would a XP Mobile 2600+ be fast enough to keep up with my 6800? i never really saw the need to upgrade my cpu till i got it. i've been happy with my xp1600, would i really see an improvement if i upgraded to a socket 939 considering my budget?