1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [TJ07-Mini] Contender

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Da_Obst, 19 Jan 2023.

1. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone! :)

Before I get going, this project already started quite a long time ago. Until now I posted everything in a german hardware forum. Now I decided to also create an english version of my worklog, so everything in the first post is a rundown of what already happend in the last few months.

Intro

My name's Benjamin, I live in Austria and I'm pretty enthusiastic about modding PCs.
    In the last few years I finally had enough time to get some of my projects done, this is my third case that I'm actively documenting whilst working on it.

Until now I worked on a Silverstone FT02, Silverstone TJ11, Silverstone TJ07 and Jonsplus i100 Pro.
    The TJ07 mod was the most time consuming thing I worked on so far and took me almost half a year to complete. At least I called it done, there's always something you can keep working on...

Shortly after I began using it as my daily driver I had to move into a new flat which involved shrinking my PC desk. So I had to find a smaller case for my setup and bought a Jonsplus i100 Pro.

This is what my PC looks like at the moment. :)
    Even though I like the i100 Pro, it still is a bit too big for my desk, that's why I want to build something more compact.

2. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

What's this all about?

I need/want a small PC case, I like the stuff Silverstone makes and love to build stuff myself.
    Combining these three things results in a TJ07-Mini scratch build. ;)

I have been sitting in front of my CAD software for a long time now and this is what I came up with so far:

Dimensions (LxWxH): 330x146x285 [mm]
    Volume: ~13.5l
    Weight: ~2.7 kg

In order to stay close to the original TJ07's aesthetic I chose to keep the dual-chamber design with the PSU at the bottom. This wastes a bit of volume, but the overall footprint is more important to me than overall height. Also I don't want to route an powercable-extension to the PSU through the case.

Since I'm using a Mora 3 420 as an external radiator I don't plan to put heat exchangers in the case. Also I want to put everything I can onto the MoRa, so it will be equipped with a D5-Dualtop, a reservoir and the AC Aquaero 6LT.

Inside of the case there only will be the hardware with its coolers and the PSU. At least there will be a CPU and GPU waterblock, maybe a RAM-block too.

As I don't want to make much of a compromise when it comes to HW compatibility I designed the case for dual-slot 330mm GPUs. This should be sufficient to accommodate most modern watercooled graphics cards.

This leaves me with a rather slim, watercooling-focused SFX case which aims towards the usage of an external radiator. :)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2023
    Cheapskate likes this.
  3. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

How will it be built?

I tend to use my projects as an excuse to try out new stuff I haven't done before.
    This time I'll go for casting aluminium and some CNC action.

The U-frame of the case should be made from a single piece of aluminium.
    So I want to cast it in a sand mould. This is more or less the hardest part of the whole project and still needs some tinkering.

Here's how I plan to go for it:

This is the U-Frame standing on its front side.
    It features undercuts, so casting it requires a rather complex form.

The idea is to split the form into four parts.

Each part is then filled with greensand, suitable for casting.
    In the beginning I thought, that I could scrape out the negative space but came up with a better idea later on.

Once the four parts are ready...

They can be put together. I will use C-Clamps to secure them and make sure that they don't come apart whilst the liquid aluminium is poured into them.

Here's the new method I came up with to create the negative space.
    I want to make rollers which imprint the cross-section of the frame in the sand.

Especially with these deep, narrow pockets that should work much better.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2023
    Monkey Puzzle and Cheapskate like this.
  4. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

Why cast Aluminium and not CNC-mill it?

I fulfilled myself a big dream and bought a CNC-mill.

It's a Sorotec Compact Line 0605 with an Eding CNC720 Controller and a 1.1kW Spindle.

It was a Kit, so I had to assemble everything by myself, including the whole electrical wiring.

Luckily a friend of mine lend me his helping hands. Together it took us a whole weekend to finish this thing.

With this machine I aim towards making GPU-blocks, pump-tops, distro-plates and case-parts for myself. For this, 50x60x17cm of working area is pretty decent, but for the whole U-frame too little.

That's how it would look like if I were to put the U-frame on the mill.

Making the frame in several parts may looks like an alternative at first...

...but the round bits of the frame would make trouble.

This way is not very suitable for milling on a 3-axies mill. I would need a long toolpath with very little stepover of the tool to get an usable surface-finish.

And this way around the tooling would need to be very long which is bad for stability.
    Also I'm not good at welding aluminium.

5. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

The melting Furnace

So it turned out that casting aluminium is more or less my only option to get an U-frame in a single piece. For that I need a furnace capable of melting aluminium of course.

After a bit of research I decided to use an old 216l oil barrel for the furnace and began with the lid.

The lid sits on the rest of the barrel like this and swings open to the side.

There's an inner shell to protect the concrete from crumbling to much.

The inner part was carefully put at just the right height, so that it reaches the height of the outer shell.

After mixing up ~200kg of concrete...

...the lid and shell were filled up and set to cure.

That took roughly two weeks.

At first we tried to fire the furnace with coal, but that didn't work well.

So we settled on a waste-oil burner design which currently is fed with fuel-oil.

Once the furnace is brought up on its working temperature the oil burns very well.

Before attempting a pour it is very important to heat up the mould.
    I can't stress this enough, pouring into cold/wet moulds is very dangerous.
    There's a big risk of a steam explosion which will spread the molten metal everywhere.

Here's our current crucible. It holds roughly 15l of molten aluminium.
    With the current burner it takes nearly one hour to melt enough aluminium for a pour.

Here's a short clip of us pouring into the form.

A full crucible nets almost three full rods.

That's how much we cast so far. A single aluminium-rod wheighs ca. 4kg.

I was curious how the quality of such a rod turns out, so I cut one in half.
    Maybe I was lucky but it looks very promising for a rough cast.

So far that's the status quo when it comes to melting and casting aluminium.
    Next time I'll try to cast an alu-plate with a sand form - I want to make rough stock for the cnc mill myself.
    Also I want to try to cast copper - For that I will need a more potent burner, currently were looking at ~1000°C which is way to low for copper melting.

Monkey Puzzle and Cheapskate like this.
  6. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

The U-frame form

After I assembled the CNC mill one of my first steps was to make the four parts for the U-frame form.

I used wood I had leftover from another project. This was not suitable material.
    After cutting out the shapes the wood moved due to released internal stress.

But overall it was a good exercise. Since I'm very new to the CNC topic I didn't want to get ahead of myself.

For the next try I will use MDF.

Cheapskate likes this.
  7. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

Filler projects/parts

The parts for the case, apart from the U-frame, will be made with the cnc mill.
    Since I don't have much experience in working with my machine I figured that it would be a good idea to make some other stuff with increasing complexity first.

So, after cutting the first version of the U-frame form from wood I tried to make a new top for my EK Monarch X2 RAM cooler.

It has its G1/4" ports on the side instead of the top because the original top doesn't allow me to use my sidepanel once there are fittings installed.

The 90°-adapter fittings stick out of the case.

So I remade the top. It was made out of POM-C, but due to very bad cutting parameters it is far from good looking.

I did waste quite a lot of time to find suitable parameters, but no luck so far.

-----------------

I managed to talk a good friend of mine into buying a TJ07 as well. (^^)
    So he currently is busy modding his case and since I am a proud owner of a CNC mill I promised him that we would try to make a distro-plate for his mod.

This was the original draft, but we changed some bits along the way.

After the POM-catastrophe, which left me a bit discouraged I was very happy to find out that cast acrylic glass is a completely other story. Overall it was very easy to machine, I had good cutting parameters from the start and even managed to improve them step by step.

The outer contour of the top-plate shows the best finish we achieved. That was the last operation.
    Sadly we found out that my spoilboard wasn't level to the machine-bed over its full length.
    So we ended up with useless O-Ring grooves. They should have been 2.2x1.75mm in size and we got depths ranging from 1.7 - 2.3mm...

So my friend now uses it as a template for his next design.

Apart from that I dare to say that it turned out pretty neat. :)
    Oh, and I definitely need to buy a thread-whirler-endmill. Cutting ~70xM4 threads by hand is a bit exhausting.

-----------------

So far that's it. :)

My next steps are:

- Buy MDF for the new U-Frame form.
    - Get someone to make the rollers which imprint the negative in the form-sand.
    - Improve the current burner or buy a better burner so I can also melt&cast copper.
    - Get comfortable with cnc machining aluminium.

Once I have enough interesting stuff to post here I'll update this thread. :)

8. arduum

arduum Minimodder

Da_Obst

I couldn't resist googling to see what the project looks like:rollingeyes:
    It looks impressive, considering it's my favourite case:thumb::read::rock:

Da_Obst likes this.
  9. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

For some reason I can't edit my second post.
    Maybe the forum-software lets me do that later...
    But I think you should be able to see the pictures now.

Thank you. :)
    I almost forgot to link to that worklog: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/tj07-tempest.1288500/
    It's in german, but there are a lot of pictures. ;)

arduum likes this.
  10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Welcome to BitTech! :D
    You are having issues posting/editing because they had to set limits on new members. We had problems a long time back with spam bots, but I think hailing @MLyons should get you clearance when he wakes up from nap time.
    The project looks fantastic so far. :thumb:

Da_Obst likes this.
  11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You're indeed correct we don't let users with low post counts edit posts as it can b used to bypass filters. Due to the quality of the build let me see if i can add an exception.

EDIT: Can you see if you can edit posts now. I think I've added a rule exception to your account.

Da_Obst and Cheapskate like this.
  12. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

13. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

Ah, I understand.
    Thanks, cool that you like it. :)

Thank you very much. :)
    I think I had issues with my second post because I tried to directly link to Imgur.
    Even now it doesn't let me save the changes when I try to add a direct link to my posting.
    But that's not a big issue and otherwise everything works. :)

MLyons likes this.
  14. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Fantastic project - really love the aluminium casting, and the results look great!

Da_Obst likes this.
  15. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Well I'm supremely jealous. I've been wanting to scratch build my own TJ07 Mini for ITX builds for many, many years, but don't have the tools or the money. SUffice it to say I shall be watching this very closely!

I like your idea of casting the unibody, my approach was going to be similar to Silverstone in having a full length of metal (milled to shape rather than extruded) and then bend it.

Da_Obst likes this.
  16. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much. :)

I always hoped that Silverstone would either revitalize the Temjin lineup and/or remake the TJ07 as a SFF chassis.
    But for some reason they don't seem to be interested. Never understood that since the TJ07 kind of has a cult following...

Nonetheless, I really hope that casting the frame works out.
    Your idea with bending the frame also is a valid option, but requires a sturdy bender with rollers which is complicated to build, so I want to avoid that. :)

Update: Casting and facing a alu-plate

Formrolle_A.png Formrolle_B.png

Recently I ordered the rollers for the sand form.

Formrollen.jpg

The guy who made them already shipped them, so it shouldn't take long until they arrive.

In the meantime I tried to cast a aluminium plate with 500x500x15mm.
    So I built a molding box and made a model for the alu plate.

The talcum powder is necessary to prevent the oil sand from sticking to the surfaces.

At first the plan was to make the form in two halfes. But then I realized that I only had 25kg of oil sand, instead of 50kg. It's been a while since I bought the oil sand...
    So I was forced to cast in an open form.

Luckily it was pretty easy to remove the wooden model. :)

After making sure that the sand form was sitting horizontal in both directions we directly poured ~8kg of aluminium into the open form.

After cooling over night it looked like this, I expected it to be worse.

It was also interesting to see that shrinkage isn't only a theoretical concept.

Here's the underside of the alu plate...

...which turned out pretty flat. :)

The upper side of the plate was a bit less even. But still better than expected.
    Since it cooled off faster than the rest of the plate I thought that the whole plate would warp badly.

So I took the plate and secured it on the cnc machine.

Up to that point I only dared to mill through wood and acrylic glass. So facing off the alu plate was a premiere. At the beginning I went ahead with rather conservative values for feed&speed. But it turned out that the machine didn't have much trouble removing the material.

I used a face-mill with 10mm diameter and three cutters. In the end I let it run with 0.5mm depth of cut, a stepover of 9mm, 1800mm/min and 20.000rpm. With a bit of cutting oil sprayed on the surface it left a smooth finish. :)

After casting the plate had a rough thickness of 16mm.
    From the top I had to remove 3.5mm and from the bottom I took off 0.5mm. If I remove another 0.5mm from both sides I should be left with a clean surface.

So, after accounting the mounting holes I'll be left with a 480x480x11mm plate which I can use to make other parts. Overall that's not bad, considered what it costs to buy such a plate from a metal dealer/shop. :)

Here's a short clip of the mill in action.
    It's a bit shaky because I got showered with hot alu-chips.

https://imgur.com/S89ktd2
    https://imgur.com/1r1gijD

Since I can't keep away from CAD I already started working on the next project.
    For this case I can cut out all necessary parts from a single cast alu plate. :)

But for now I'll continue working on the SFF Temjin before starting another build.

That's it for now. :)

17. arduum

arduum Minimodder

I don't know about a CNC milling machine, but a handheld router should cut at a much lower speed - about 10-16 thousand rpm max. Of course, if we're talking about aluminum.:rollingeyes:

18. Cheapskate

At 20k rpm, I bet you could even be heard by planes flying over. :lol:
    The casting opens up so many options, like brass-bronze from scrap. Since it's cast, it shouldn't have the weird warping issues that rolled stock has.
    Loving how powerful that mill is. My gantry rig is really rickety compared to that.

19. Da_Obst

Da_Obst What's a Dremel?

I still need to find the optimal settings for feed/speed. :)

Yeah, it's pretty loud. (^^)

So far I can say that it really paid off to make the alu-plates myself.
    The only issue I need to resolve are the surface defects which force me to take off a quite substancial amount of material.
    But I'm going to build a closed steel form for casting which should allow me to get better rough stock material.

So far the CNC managed to handle everything I threw at it - Pretty neat. :)
    But that's about to change, recently I ordered a 40mm face-milling cutter.
    I don't think that the 1.1kW spindle's too happy about this addition to my tool collection. (^^)

MLyons likes this.
  20. Cheapskate

Don't run that one at 20k rpm. :lol:

Tags: