1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays TN, IPS and G-Sync?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Odinn, 24 Nov 2014.

1. Odinn

Odinn What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor in the near future to get the most out of a New GTX970!
    At the minute I am using a BenQ 22" 1920x1080 (exclusively for gaming) which is a TN panel I think. I'm going to try using Nvidia's DSR to upscale the resolution but want to know if it's worth getting a better monitor.

Can anyone explain or link a web page of the advantages or disadvantages of TN/IPS and G-sync?

Or just recommend a monitor to get the most out of my card and have a crystal clear picture with my games.

Thanks in advance

2. Odinn

Odinn What's a Dremel?

Oh yea, budget wise iv seen a g-sync monitor for just over £300 which I would be prepared to pay if it's worth it!

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I will say what I think would be right but, there are more qualified people around.

TN have fast response times and are better for twitch shooters, but suffer from bad viewing angles and colours that are not to accurate for proffesional colour work on Video and Photo editing.

IPS has really nice colours, better viewing angles but slower response times which some people don't like for twitch shooters.

Gsync well basically it's like Vsync but without the input lag, so it matches the monitors refresh rate to the frame rate you are getting up to a certain value, so you can play a game at 25fps and it will feel smoother on a Gsync monitor compared to a TN or IPS screen.

Most Gsync monitors that I have seen though will only work with a pc so you can't use them for a console if you ever wanted to as they only have a single display port connection, however I believe you might be able to use adaptors to get a console to work with one.

Base you monitor choice based on what games you play and whether you do any sort of colour work on photos and videos that require the colours to be spot on.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You'll soon be able to get the best of everything, just hang tight until q1 next if you can. There should be a multitude of new models with 1440 or 4K IPS/PLS/*VA panels with the new standard DP with adaptive sync and the 1440p models going up to 140hz, 4K with 60hz.