1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics To wait or not to wait.... A question about graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LockmanX, 17 Jun 2011.

1. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

So after getting a shiny little bonus at work that just so happens to be enough for a video card upgrade, I've been drooling at newegg. Looked at a few reviews here and elsewhere and have settled on a MSI HD6950 2GB for about $280. I like the reference cooler design much better than pretty much all of the others I've seen and am willing to pay that extra $30 to get it. Seems strait forward enough. I know what I'm after and found it for a price I'm willing to pay.

So why the post? Doubt.

The HD6950 and 6970 were released about six months ago. HD6990 aside, there hasn't been a high-end release from AMD since. As far as I can find, there aren't any plans for a new generation anytime soon either. So unless AMD is keeping tight-lipped in what seems to be a pretty loose-lipped sector of the industry, the HD69XX series will be AMD's top dog for a little while yet. To the contrary however, rebates for these things are starting to pop up like spreading cancer. Kinda gives the vibe of clearing space on shelves for the next round of the graphics card wars.

So the dilemma. Should I go what what I've picked or wait for the next hardware refresh that may not be coming anytime soon? Perhaps there is a better solution I've yet to consider?

I used to consider myself pretty well informed back in the HD48XX days. But life gets in the way and you lose track of the industry. As for the inevitable "Why not nvidia?" question. I plan on driving at least three but likely four monitors and would like to do it with a single card.

So, floor open to suggestions. As I said, I haven't tracked this market for some time so maybe I'm missing something or have managed to misinform myself. I guess I'm looking to validate my conclusions. Thanks for any help!

The relevant hardware specs:
    Intel i7 870 (stock at 2.93)
    8gb RAM
    Outgoing graphics: a pair of 4870 1GB seldom run in crossfire.
    Two monitors running 1920x1200, one at 1920x1080, and, if I can fix it, one at 1024x768
    850w PSU

Typical use: 1920x1080 is the primary but I do game at 1920x1200 often. The 1024x768 is simply a chat window monitor. Multi-monitor gaming is not the immediate goal as the screen sizes between the pair of 1200 screens is vastly different that the 1080. Though, a third 1920x1200 screen of the same size is not out of the question if I run into a good deal.

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If your 4870 ar doing the job now then there is no point.
    Wait for September/October few the next gen.

If you need to get rid of the bug get a case or someting.

And for gods sake overclock that i7 :p

3. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I was planning on crossfiring two 6950's 2gb. Those cards haul, and will for awhile. Personally I'd say go for it, but the ever looming 'next gen' is always going to be there. I will tackle the problem and stick medium-highend GPU's together to really get an edge, however with a new release a single card will perform as well as two. But this is the way of the universe in GPU's and nearly all computer tech.

Its a catch 22 IMHO. We as consumers seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to turnover on tech. We lose our hard earned cash to newer and better things either to come, here or older.

More power to ya. :)

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I wrote a longwinded thread about making this kind of decision before. It's from a while back so it probably won't answer your card-specific questions, but other people posted some fantastic replies from different perspectives that helped me to make up my own mind about what to do when buying a card and considering more than just the price/performance at the time of purchase.

Thread:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=200807

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'll be honest, $280 for a HD6950 is quite a ripoff, given that a GTX560Ti goes for $225 and some HD6950s go for that low as well.

If it was in the $280 range I'd either move up $30 and grab myself a GTX570/HD6970 or move down ~$40-$50 and get myself a reference GTX560Ti.

Edit: Stike out the GTX560 option, you can still get the Zotac one which does drive 3 monitors IIRC.

6. Droih

Droih Your too close if you can read this

the next gen cards (Geforce 600 / AMD 7000) will not be out this year, or early next.

(source : swedish)

As both nVidia and AMD got great GPU's already, both at an equal level, no-one needs to push the next gen to catch up.

Therefor AMD is focusing on the new Llano & APU's where they really gen money,.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I upgraded from a 4870 and believe me you will notice a huge difference if you get a 6950, seeing that it is a little better than what I have.

If you are going to upgrade, just bite the bullet and get the best you can. No point upgrading if what you buy doesn't cut the cheese.

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Of course the 6950 is going to be a big jump, but honestly it's kinda wasted if the 4870's are still doing it (esp. CF). I'd wait until next gen, 7xxx is around the corner. Your money might be better spent on a good SSD for now if you don't already have one (you didn't mention it and no specs in sig...)

BTW multimonitor gaming is still totally possible with your setup, even with different res; check out "SoftTH" if you're interested. I use it to game @6000x1080 on 3x 23" using 2x 4870's and still get ~30FPS in most games on high. I'll never go back to a single screen, no matter how big.

And please OC your i7, or give it to someone who will :p

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

But the op has two..

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You're missing something - 4870 is DX10, which is a huge drawback for most people looking to play the latest games. Having two of them doesn't make them DX11 :D

FWIW he rarely uses crossfire, so he probably would notice a big difference going to a 6950 (esp. if he unlocked it to a 6970).

11. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

Its true the 4870's are still excellent cards. The reason I'm replacing them is that they are going into another computer to be sold. The longer I wait, the less the system is worth.

The i7 will be overclocked soon enough (or else I'll be mobbed, it seems). The delay there is that its on a stock heatsink. I won the proc at a LAN party and still haven't spent the time to look into a better one beyond some light browsing. Shopping for a good cooler is kinda hard. The system is in a 4U rackmount case which knocks out many of the good tower heatsinks. Next time I crack the case open, I'm going to measure my clearance. In my last build, the heatsink had less than 1 mm.

Never heard of softTH before. Going to have to google that. I should be clear, the resolution difference isn't really the issue. Its the screen sizes. My main display is a 42" monitor, with two landscape 24"s on the flanks. Makes for a resolution that isn't square.

Zurechial, great read. Don't know how I missed that one.

As for the $280 6950, it's the only one I can find with a reference cooler. I love that it blows outside the case unlike many of the custom coolers. Some of them kinda blow out the back but a lot of the heat stays in the case. In my setup, there is little airflow around the expansion cards except what the video card will push out. To be honest, I like the shape too. I just looks like this black slab of awesome. But I suppose there is some room for shopping around. I'm just partial to newegg. It's not often I find what I'm looking for cheaper elsewhere. And I suppose going 6970 isn't out of the question if I pull aside a bit of the cash from the sale of the old box. That's going to be new "toy" money anyway. Means less ammo though....

DX11 is good point.

Dunno. There's a bit to ponder on. And is it bad that I've had to google "FWIW" and "IIRC"? I feel like I'm in danger of having my geek card revoked.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2011
  12. Elton

I'd say first, sell your computer. Then see what you can afford.

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

You're telling him to sell a machine with an i7 870, 8GiB of ram and 2 4870's to see what he can afford? I'm sorry but I hope I'm reading that wrong, that machine will be good for a couple of years yet, only his graphics card needs upgrading if it's failing to meet his needs.

14. trig

trig god's little mistake

it's elton...he's dickin with him...plus, elton's just angry cause he knows i just bought a twin frozr III gtx 570

15. Elton

Hahahahaha. Oh trig, what I meant was get a quote for your HD4870s. Turns out I totally wrote something without reading it again.

Trig, it's pretty sad that you already have a grasp of me. Although the 570 isn't too bad, I still got myself a HD6850 and am about to get myself some good Sandybridge goodness.

16. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Now that makes more sense, these days it's around £50 for a 4870 I think.

Ljs likes this.
  17. Elton

You could probably net a bit more than that. Try 60-70.

18. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

The other thing to remember is when the next gen do come out there will be a price bump eg 6970s stated at around £300 now there £230 so buying right at the start of a new generation doesn't necessarily mean huge price/performance savings.

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

If you're thinking of ebay, £45 per card at the very most (after fees, postage etc). One person paid £60 + £12 postage for a used 4870 just a few days ago, when the bulk of them are shifting hands for £40-50.

Still £90 hard cash to put towards a new graphics card is a pretty good start - that's roughly what I'd be looking at if I sold my 470.

20. Elton

90 quid plus an extension of cash would defintively net you something quite worthwhile.