1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding tool help!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Teyber, 8 Sep 2007.

1. Teyber

Teyber ******

alright!

You can never plan x-mas to early right? :D
    First, christmas list. Im thinking these tools:
    table saw
    mitre saw
    metal lathe(crosses fingers...)
    heat gun
    super cheap bender(25$ max)
    tap stuff

before youc all me spoiled, this is christmas/and my birthday(less then 2 weeks apart) and some of my own $$.
    for table saw, im thinking:
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0LS&lpage=none
    cheap or no? i WANT THE SAFEST THING POSSIBLE and i also would like lots of safety advice as i have never used one.
    for mitre saw, this maybe:
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...CE2&lpage=none
    i have used a 600$ dewalt one before, but this will mainly be used for cutting angles/2x4's/ acrilic. Whats the advantage of buying a bigger one? or could i even go cheaper? (in store this was like 130$)

and for lathe, im thinking one of these
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Inf...he_compare.php
    but problably this one
    http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?sku=03911

any reason to go with the nicer one? it needs to be a metalworking lathe, and i would like to maybe add a 4 jaw chuck eventually for making dice/ln2 containers(someday...)

so opinions?recomendations? should i get x instead of y?
    something cheap like that for bending?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39103

so is there anything i shouldn't get? am i missing something?

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Only the Homier and Harborfreight links are working.

Bigger miter saws (i.e. 12" compound slide miter) can cut larger planks of wood etc.

I wish I had a table and miter saw to add to my collection.

3. Teyber

Teyber ******

If im only cutting simple stuff with mitre saw, should i just get the chep 10" non sliding one? i definatly want to get a table saw, but im still 50/50 on the mitre saw.

The table saw is this one:
    10" 15-Amp Table Saw

Click to Enlarge
    FireStorm®
    10" 15-Amp Table Saw

Item #: 238438 Model: FS210LS
    $159.00

Add to Cart

Product Availability:
    Because product availability varies by area, please enter your local zip code to see item availability.
    Zip Code:

Already have an account with Lowe's? Log in.

mitre saw is something like this(cheaper ones in store)
    10" 15-Amp Table Saw

Click to Enlarge
    FireStorm®
    10" 15-Amp Table Saw

Item #: 238438 Model: FS210LS
    $159.00

Add to Cart

Product Availability:
    Because product availability varies by area, please enter your local zip code to see item availability.
    Zip Code:

thanks

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Can't see the link. Lowes webpage sucks. The online catalogue system is f**ked too. It locks you out of online order only stuff with -'not available at your local store.' NO ****? Why do you think I'm ONLINE?:wallbash:

Oops! where was I?:worried:

Table saw: One thing you are going to want is a table top with lots of parallel lines machined in it. These are handy because you have to square up the Adjustable guide manually. I have never seen a tablesaw guide that locks perfectly square automatically.
    Miter saw: Not very useful for modding, but I can't live without one for carpentry. You will want one with notches that snap the base into 90 & 45 degrees. (I imagine they all do that now.) The ones with an extra pull cut are handy for cutting longer planks. The larger saw blades give more clearance for deeper cutting. A 10" blade cannot completely cut through a 4x4 post, but a 12" blade can.
    (Miter saws are a little messy for cutting plexi, but still a must have item for DIY work.)
    Not sure why you need the lathe, but you could set up shop making reservoirs and case feet.

5. Teyber

Teyber ******

lathe for making evaps for a friend of mine.

Thanks cheapskate, so maybe i should stick with my mitre box saw, and now that i have that table sander(WTF R THEY CALLED!!!, the belt/disc combo thing) i can sand it to the correct distance. I really don't want to spend over 100/125 on the mitre saw, and im not doing much work at all other then computer work in my "shop".
    thanks for table saw advice! can you give me any safety tips on it? does the blade cover thing help at all?

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

For table saws the best advice is to keep your fingers out of it! That's what the guard is for. If you turn the work and bind it while feeding into the blade, the saw will kick it back at you.

7. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I broke that 18" bending brake in a day and took it back for the 30". It still works and is much better.

8. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I've got that 18" brake and haven't had much issue with it. Fozzy, how did it fail on you?

Teyber - where do you live and can I come over to use your soon to be new tools? =P

Anyways, also check out www.use-enco.com and amazon before you order your tools.

Also, some of your links are completely broken - you musta copy/pasted wrong.

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

lol i live in california(20 min from l.a.)
    nice link!

yeah links bad, lowes webishgt is teh suck

10. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

While Lowes' site gives me problems every now and then, it's not them that broke the links, it's you!

Check it out - your links have ... in the middle of them, meaning something went wrong when you posted. I see it happen all the time with newegg links.

Anyways, Enco has great prices sometimes, especially on hand tools. Their monthly sales flyer has some great deals too.

11. Teyber

Teyber ******

Im liking enco.

Heres what im thinking now:
    good table saw(around 150-200$)
    o.k. not great mitre saw(around 120$)
    (decided against a new monitor, as if i ever crave big monitor gaming my dads house has a 1080p 48" sony bravia tv as its monitor with a e6600, p35 mobo (ds3), 8800gts 640, and 2 gigs. so more tools?)
    Then for birthday(or other way around)
    7x12 mini metal lathe
    then maybe on my own, get a router and a router table :D

well see
    g2g