1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Toolcase project slow burner

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 28 Nov 2019.

?

Long case, or normal

1. Long

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Normal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Bascially doing a bit of mobile cycle mechanics for races and events, I keep misplacing tools at the end of events so, decided to get organised. Plus a number of the others use this system they look more professional, which generally makes you more jobs which means more pennies. That and are easier to find the tool your need with this kind of lay out.
    My current "box" is a rucksack often these get chucked into vans an cars so ideally need to be able to take a few knocks hence a lot use Peli style or flight cases.

I have time on my side as its "close season" so I can take my time on this

Bought a case I thought was ample, turns out its way too small. So its going to be used for my drills, save them getting damp which is nice (garage gets damp).

So, Two cases from your opinions which would be better? both have the same volume 41L. All the foams going, going to use cut out foam to mount the tools in the bottom (Shadowfoam/Kaizen) and wood panel with slots and magnets in the lid.

Long boi case - Lid + 2 layers Length 800mm x Width 370mm x Height 140mm
    [​IMG]

Normal case - Lid + four layers Internal sizing Length 530mm x Width 395mm x Height 195mm
    [​IMG]

General idea is along these lines when finished, layers lift out so you can obviously access the lower. Usually you rock up with this, a workstand and bench so I can lay the other layers out, or some fancy ones use gas arms because fancy.

[​IMG]

2. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Shame the deep one doesn't have a lift out tray...

3. legoman

They all technically lift out, I just have to make grab handles like in the last photo, or leave a slot to get your fingers into.

4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

They look reminiscent of custom aluminium camera cases; is each layer of foam removable in its own right, or is the non-cubed stuff glued to the body of the case?

If "thicc boi" can have summat like a fibreglass/GRP sheet glued to the top two layers of foam...

5. legoman

Easily doable, I'd have to put some board or sheet on the base of each layer to stop it flexing when I remove them.
    Most use 30mm foam as it takes the bulk of the tools you'd carry, some use a 50mm on the bottom deck for really big tools. I measured all mine none would need it.

Is this what you meant by layers? As this is the basic idea I'll be following

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Nov 2019
  6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If you don't need the full sealed waterproof-ness of the Pelicase-style case, I can recommend the DeWalt T-stak cases. Have been sturdy enough for me, join together into a nice stack for transport (there are wheely-trolleys and the like you can then attach them to as a unit for transport), and there are a nice selection of sizes and styles. The ones with the drawers are surprisingly nice metal ball-bearing slides, though I wish the drawers had locking holes like the rest of the cases. The only knock against them for your use would be they do not fold 'all the way' open (lid sticks up vertical), so you couldn't just fold a box all the way open and start lifting tools straight up out. I've been grabbing stacks of these from ebay while they're £15 each (the moulded inserts just lift right out to leave an empty box) for storage and transport of... stuff.

Out of the original 2, I'd go with the long boi. Larger surface area = more tools you can just grab as soon as you open the case without lifting out sections and finding places to put them down. Combine it with a pair of folding trestles, and you could plop the case onto the trestles and leave your folding workbench completely clear of stuff.

7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Yup...

8. legoman

Had a chat with a couple of mechs I work with, ones looking at a new case after his old one got ruined in the flooding up north taking a load of his tools with it too.
    I spoke to a local plastics company who do various cases were off to look in the week, They do some nice plastic/alu cases between £30 an £60 which should work nicely, longest being about 70ish cm.

Case I'm looking at is
    • Internal: L: 505mm | W: 355mm | H: 140mm
    • External: L: 569mm | W: 425mm | H: 215mm
    An its only £44.36

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

£45 for a custom case? That's a cracking good deal!

10. legoman

Its an off the shelf, Inserts I will do myself.

11. legoman

Went to smelly plastics place that smells of plastic. I now have a case on order yay! As the only one he had in was bright orange, an I wanted black.

It's one of these, the £44.36
    [​IMG]
    Split is 145mm bottom and 55mm lid which is great for what I have planned. They are already on order due this week. Apparently really popular an I can see why. Next up will be making the backing plate in the lid.