1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Torn between cards...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DickH, 5 Jan 2005.

1. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

I have chosen to buy a new video card on my next paycheck to finish off my system. Im helping my brother out with his new computer by giving him my video card, so I will need a replacement. I was looking at the xfx 6600gt, however I figure if i'm going to buy a new video card, why not buy a 6800 or x800. Im now looking at either This 6800gt or this x800pro. I know I can get more performance out of a 6800gt, but the x800 has vivo. I don't really use the tv in on my aiw9800pro, but I love having it there for when I want to record something. Having a shuttle with a sound card, I have no room for a tunner, so it has to be on the video card, or I jus't dont get one. Also owning a shuttle means I am stuck with a 240w psu, from what I have heard, the x800pro will be easier on my psu then the 6800gt. Based on the above, I would like to go with the x800pro. However, I use linux half the time and ATI+Linux = not so good. So if I went with Ati, In windows, I would play games with a lesser video card, and in linux, I would be stuck with 2d games. Im kind of stuck, I don't know what to go with. I have two-three weeks to make up my mind, so I'm not in a big rush and will probably switch from one to the other a few times.

What would you guys suggest?

2. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

6800 gt, even though i didn't read your post, i only saw the two cards

3. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I would say go with the 6800GT. The power supply should be able to handle it as it is a quality PSU (power requirements for cards are usually set by crappy PSU).

4. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

6800GT

Tags: