1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Toshiba m200 odd battery behavior

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Splynncryth, 23 Feb 2007.

1. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I’m in the process of 'refurbishing' a Toshiba m200. The problem I am seeing is that the system will recognize the batter after it is plugged in for 'a little while' (I have not sat around and timed it yet), then it acts as if there is no battery in the system. This makes charging very difficult :)
    Any idea why the battery is 'disappearing' (even the battery light goes off) after a bit?
    The BIOS version is 1.80 if that could help track down this problem.

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The contacts could be coming loose, maybe a loose connection somewhere?

3. Splynncryth

I've now checked and cleaned the contacts. Detection has improved, but not charging. The old battery I thought was dead will chage up to "23%" but the one that I just ordered will not take a charge. It sits at 3% then will disappear after about an hour. I am now wondering if the 65 watt aftermarket AC adaptor can't supply enough power so the charging circuit gives up.

4. Splynncryth

Hoping this info mgith be useful, I had a battery charged by a toshiba battery charger to full capacity. If I put it in while the notebook is off, it never seems to detect the battery and can't turn it on. Maybe it just thinks it is dead.
    If I load windows and conenct the pattery, it will register 99% charge, but drop to seeing it as nearly dead very quickly. If I charge the battery and connect it, it will read as nearly dead under Windows as well.
    The batteyr does nto get warm at all, if a 4700mAh battery were discharging that fast, I'd expect to have a fire on my hands.
    Is there still hope for a software solution? Might the newer BIOS not like the older mainboard?