1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tottenham Riots

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dwarfer, 8 Aug 2011.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Charge them and then what? We're releasing prisoners early because prisons are overcrowded, remember?

Water cannons and rubber bullets were used in the Belfast riots of July this year (you did know about those, didn't you?). Come to think of it, they were used in the Belfast riots last year. Seems that left a lasting impression, then.

2. logonui

logonui Minimodder

Love that song! :rock:

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

This is ridiculous.. The Police can't do anything.. 10 or so cops vs 50 pissed off youths? If this is what it's like all around London then something needs to get done now.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Saw that yesterday, this is scary stuff, I really hope something is done soon, half of the North seems to have cottoned on to the fact they can get away with unwanton destruction and looting, this is only going to get worse :/

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I've got a few friends in the Essex and Suffolk police forces...and they'd been put on alert as the met has requested a lot of extra officers on standby from other counties apparently.

They may also call off the England game if there aren't enough forces to police it, but the decision is likely to be based on tonight's activities.

The sad thing is these riots are just pointless violence and looting - I'd understand if they were against the current government whom have seriously cocked up everything so far in a very short space of time. But they aren't about a dissatisfied generation getting screwed, there simply about greed and idiots.

6. GeorgeStorm

I disagree, even if it was against the current government it's unacceptable

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

didn't say it would be acceptable, but I could at least comprehend where the anger stemmed from - it would be similar to what's seen in France on an almost yearly basis now (last time due to a proposed raise in retirement age).

But let's not get into a debate about anti government protesting - because this isn't what's happening. All that's happening is yobs looting and smashing for no reason and with no ideology at all.

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Let's also remember that we have the longest prison sentences in the western Europe and yet popular misconceptions think that this country is lenient with sentence time. The sentence length isn't the problem, it's the conditioning of prisoners to be reliant upon the prison system to support them and relatively soft conditions in which prisoners in this country and kept (by the way I've done a fair amount of work in prisons, so come at this from a semi informed view).

My friend in the force whom I'm texting at the mo (no idea if it's true or not mind you) says that their likely to use water cannons but have been told rubber bullets are likely a no no.

9. GeorgeStorm

Ah fair enough, and yup, bunch of thugs, some as young as 7 apparently??? What on earth is wrong with these people? I'm 19 and I just cannot comprehend what's happening

10. veato

veato I should be working

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they used RPGs to be honest

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

After the flak and government got for kettling they'll be pretty worried about using anything that could have possible blow back. Apparently the feeling is that water-cannons are likely as they have by far the lowest mortality rate of the options available and they can be used in a secondary capacity to stop a lot of the fires that looters are using to light 'missiles' before throwing them.

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and where are the 7yr olds parents, my kids are 13 and 15, when they are with me, they aren't out after 8-9pm, can't say about when they are with ex-wife as i don't know.

they should also put a dye in the water that doesnt wash off, so that they can all be arrested and charged

13. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Lot of these men run a mile from their baby-mothers, they don't want the responsibility.

14. Risky

Risky Modder

Rubber bullets and water cannon won't pursuade someone that it's wrong to break into shops, mug people in the steet and set fire to their homes and businesses. However it might be what it takes to physically stop it happening right now.

Certainly we need to understand the causes behind there, but they aren't looting a warehose on an industrial because they're angry with the piolice or "the system", it's because they can get away with it and that needs to be changed tonight.

15. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

yep time to up the anti, tear gas, water cannons, batten rounds..... Send in the paras..........

16. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Any news on the meeting with the PM this morning?

PS Last-night watching people's homes burn to the ground as firemen were unable to attend the scene due to lack of police and then hearing a whole street was attacked by youths, peoples homes were broken into and people threatened with violence.

Calls were made to the police but never turned up! Is this what the UK has come to... lawless Britain!?

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Bloody great idea....

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

lack of discipline, binge drinking nights and fear of responsibility to blame?

19. MiNiMaL_FuSS

"England's football friendly with Holland at Wembley has been cancelled due to the escalating violence in London"

Re: sending in military - never gunna happen, no democratic country willingly puts military forces on their streets and no residents of a democratic country want to see the military on their streets. Very bad idea, you're likely to stir up a lot more unrest if the army is brought in.

20. GeorgeStorm

Will be interesting to see the result of that news, the looters will most likely blame the government, and increase the looting, but I wonder whether anti looter groups will start appearing aswell