1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Touchpad goes crazy after login

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 8 Jul 2010.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

i'm working on a dell E1505 laptop and the touchpad will work fine at the login screen, and for several hours straight when running off a live CD, but i will log in and within about 5 minutes it will become very erratic. i've updated then reinstalled the touchpad driver, updated the BIOS (from A06 to A17 :jawdrop: ) and run a battery of antivirus scans.

i'm about to download Ccleaner and check out the startup programs, but beyond that i'm at a loss. do any of you guys have any recommendations?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Does it do it in safe mode?

Assuming it's a synaptics touchpad what does the utility program record while it's going crazy? Iirc there's a tab in there that allows you to look at the touchpad's inputs and stuff.

3. Delta Nine IT

Delta Nine IT New to this but not to Modding!

is the touchpad warm to touch?

4. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

it was an Alps touchpad, and it was not noticeably warm (as cool as it can be considering what is underneath it).

i went in to the mouse settings and hit any "revert to defaults" button i could find. i did notice the little icon down by the clock never showed any touchpad readings, even when the mouse was moving.

it's not too much of a problem for me anymore, the guy usually uses a USB mouse and i already returned it to him, but if anyone had and solved this issue maybe some googler in the future would appreciate the help