1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Trading Q6600 for Q9550

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Beast, 19 Jul 2011.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

So here's the scoop, a guy I know has a Q9550, an Evga 790i ultra and 4Gbs of Corsair DDR3 ram. He wants to trade it for my Q6600, Gigabyte DS3L and my RAM (2x2Gb Kingston, 1Gb Corsair) plus $100 or so. (He wants to move away from Intel and build more AMD systems)

I haven't read up on hardware in a while and was wondering if this is a good deal? I'm pretty sure it is but I'm not totally sure. BTW the main use of the system would be to play movies, watch TV shows, internet browsing and of course play video games(BFBC2 now, BF3 later). He might even sell me a semi newer video card that would keep up with this new system for a cheap price.

2. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

There would be little difference, if any, in games/everyday tasks, so you'd be paying $100 for a sidegrade. I'd say save the money tbh and upgrade to something later this year/next (SB or BD).

The_Beast likes this.
  3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I wouldn't do it personally. We've got Sandybridge kicking ass and taking names with the prospect of bulldozer too. What gfx has he got for sale?

The_Beast likes this.
  4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

youd gain next to nothing really.

The_Beast likes this.
  5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

See if you can get him down a couple of $$$ first. The board is quite decent as is the RAM, CPU is a 45nm compared to 65nm, so in theory should run cooler plus all the usual benefits with it).

You may be able to OC it higher, my Q9450 went higher than my E6600 (essentially the same as a Q6600).

So, if you can get him down on the money side, it could be worth it.

The_Beast likes this.
  6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I've been doing some more reading on the subject I think I'll just stick with my current system. The Q6600 is very comparable to the Q9550, DDR3 on a socket 775 isn't really any faster than DDR2. The only real upgrade would be the motherboard, but $100 for a socket 775 motherboard just isn't worth it.

I think I'll put that money towards a new GPU or second monitor. BTW would the current generation GPUs be bottlenecked by my Q6600?