1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Transfer speeds between internal SATA drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LDJ, 28 Oct 2010.

1. LDJ

LDJ What's a Dremel?

I have bought a new 2TB Spinpoint F3 SATA drive to replace my 1TB WD Green drive. Last night I plugged the Spinpoint into the motherboard, booted up and began copying everything from the disk. There was about 350GB of stuff to move which I thought would take a while, but literally took hours and didn't finish.
    Windows Explorer reported transfer speeds of between 40-50Mb/s, but I'm not sure if this is an expected transfer rate or if I should be seeing higher than this?

2. rollo

rollo Modder

its pretty decent 350gb takes time

if its a mix of small and large files it will take a very long time. ( as i assume its not 350gb of xxx files )

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Sounds about right, all depends on the chipset. You'll get an initial transfer burst of about 100mbps, then that will settle down close to the 50mbps mark.

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

When copying stuff between my X-25M and C300, I found that the burst speeds would usually transfer several GBs of stuff before settling down to the sustained quoted speeds of the drives.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

As you were not transferring one big file, speeds will always be slower. I'd say those speeds are average.

Transferring a single 8GB file will be MUCH faster than transferring 8GB's worth of 100K files.

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I used to get 60-70MB/s transferring single large files between mechanical drives.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've found it's highly dependant on the type of drives transferring between. Don't forget it can only be done at the maximum speed of the slowest drive.

Between F3's I get 90MB/s sustained with average file size (50-200MB), and about 40-50MB/s with smallish files.

My Hitatchi doesn't keep up with them, it gets at least 10MB/s less, often more.

Transfers between partitions are much slower too.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Here's how my Samsung F3 performs with different file sizes.

[​IMG]

Notice that only large, sequential reads/writes achieve top marks? The moment you start to transfer lots of small files, performance drops off immediately. This is why SSDs are so fast in reality, despite having sequential speeds that are sometimes not much faster than HDDs.

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

For comparisons sake. Notice the difference in small file size speed.

10. LDJ

LDJ What's a Dremel?

Thanks. Not a big deal I was just wondering if I should be expecting higher transer rates over SATA than that, but if it seems appropriate then I'm good with that. It was indeed a mixture of large files and smaller files so the drop in rate is to be expected.

Thanks for the clarification :)