1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triple Screen Setup

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Orca, 28 Jan 2007.

1. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

So, the idea of going triple screen lingers from time to time.

But I have to ask, how exactly does this work?

Is it as simple as buying the same graphics card and not SLI-ing them with the third monitor plugged in there?

Or is it something more sinister...

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

2 non sli graphic cards can do it, or just a PCI add-in...

3. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Or even graphics card and onboard VGA if you have it.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Or one of those Matrox boxes will work too. But your best bet would be getting whatever graphics card you'd like to afford (read: only matters what card you get if you're a gamer) and then toss in the cheapest suitable secondary card you can find in the appropriate slot.

5. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

also, there are video cards catered towards triple heads... matrox parahelia makes one.. not very suitable for gaming, though.

i would check out their dual head 2 go, or triple head 2 go...(what firehed is talking about) they are addons that simply add on an additional display or two

@steveyg: often, the onboard will be disabled, and due to resourse conflicts, cant be re-enabled on some mobos, but if you can go that route, i say thats a good choice

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

3 screens for regular work is as stated above, however, as far as I know, the Matrox TripleHead2Go (link) is the only way to get a 3d game to use all three screens (though not all games support the needed resolutions)

Edit: reviews Here and Here. Note the warnings about problems with ATI cards.

I kept looking at this but the cost for the box is WAY too high so I ended up buying a 22" LCD and saving lots of money.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2007
  7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Could you just use a cheep 8meg PCI graphics card to support the last (say 17" at 1280x1024 75hz ftf) while one 17" LCD and a 20" widescreen run off a proper card?