1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Trojan modifies routers' DNS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Jun 2008.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That's assuming that the trojan knows to look for a stored password, where to look, and what it's looking for.

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan New Member

My myspace account was hijacked once. I lol'd.

Viruses and Trojans aren't the end of the world, they're just a friendly reminder that it's time to format.

3. webarchitect

webarchitect Software Mob

Well lots of trojans can do nasty things to a person's PC. A good anti-virus or trojan remover/checker can probably detect it before it can change the router settings. plus, stop downloading programs from untrusted sites.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

They're usually late warning signs of utterly piss-poor Internet surfing habits. It's not like trojans just suddenly penetrate your PC randomly from the cloud of the Net.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2008
  5. PhenomRed

PhenomRed New Member

uh oh...

lol, that used to be on our old router, cause i was too lazy to change it. its changed on the new router though

6. pg13

pg13 New Member

Try it (but careful this is the real thing)

I got it by this virus. It was not noticeable, as most of the web remained the same. I noticed it when I tryied to download firefox 3 in french and was given a french university link in China and then in Brazil. I went into my modem and saw that my secondary DNS did not look like the primary DNS.

I got it trying out a link such as this one : http://emes.com.br/index.php sent in an email pretending to offer a sexy video (such as liv tyler naked).

I was testing my own security and got screwed. My pc wasn't attacked, my router was. There is a great article on how, published by Symantec, under the key words DNS pharming.

Tags: Add Tags