1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Trouble cloning ssd

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by javaman, 9 Feb 2023.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey Everyone

I'm trying to upgrade my laptop from a liteon cv8-8e256 sata iii to a western Digital blue SN570 NVMe. Apparently according to this article my laptop should be compatible

I used Mini disk partition manager to clone the old disk to the new disk using an external USB enclosure which seem to have been successful however when attempting to boot either replacing the old ssd with the new one or from the new disk over ssd I always get a blue screen for Inaccessable boot device.

Has anyone cloned an NVMe SSD before to know where I'm going wrong or the nest way to fix the blue screen issue?

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Put the new SSD in your PC, grab a bootable windows installer USB, boot from the USB and go into recovery mode, fix boot record. Something along those lines. Sorry, it's early.

3. javaman

Thanks yuusou!

Gave it a shot. Tool runs for about 5mins then says “start-up repair couldn’t repair your pc”

gonna keep digging

4. javaman

.....and like all great tech related problems it resolves itself with no explanation.

Last steps taken was disabling the disk in the bios booting into the windows installer. I reenabled the disk again saved and exited the bios and let it run another failed loop expecting to enter the windows installer to potentially do a fresh install and magically it booted successfully.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Glad it's sorted (although hate those self-repairing errors. Never know what the problem was). If you do get issues again, it may be something like the MBR (not an expert, but there are a few on here of course) - when I used to use DriveImageXML to clone across, there was a warning that it couldn't do a proper copy from HDD to SSD as something in the boot partition or similar didn't translate identically. Might be worth having in the back of your mind in case you need to delve into that in the future for any reason :thumb:.

javaman likes this.