1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Trouble with Win 10 20H2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arboreal, 28 Dec 2020.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I've lost my Win 10 2004 install USB stick, so created a new one using 20H2.

I installs but doesn't seem to be have well on either if the pCs I've tried it on.

Are there well known issues?

I hate the system page being taken away for starters.

I can't get an ethernet connection, the drivers are installed and OK, but the toolbar has no network setting and a lot of the settings pages seem not to work either...

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Cheapskate, adidan and Arboreal like this.
  4. Arboreal

Thanks fellas.

@RedFlames, I am preparing myself for suckage, and don't normally moan about MS, but this seems to be half baked.
    Not sure on what network adaptors as one has 2 and the other just one, none show as problematic in the device manager. ITX board with 2 Ethernets ports, both light up and flash when plugged in o a known good connection, but no network symbol and the settings page to network won't open.

@Big Elf Thanks for that v useful article, I'll have a go now.

5. Arboreal

One rusty CMD session later and we have Win 10 1909 writing to USB stick now.

adidan likes this.
  6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sounds like a broken install, probably not much a reinstall wouldn't sort, but I have to ask what is the system page? I haven't noticed anything missing since update?

7. Arboreal

Win 10 1909 reinstalled perfectly with the same SSD, all functionality there as expected.
    I may do a 20H2 re download and see if the installer was shot.
    SSD passed Intel SSD Tools checks at 100%.
    Still can't get the laptop to install Win 10 on that SSD, fails at 13% or so on all Win 10 install types...
    It'll boot with the 64GB SSD I put in it, and another SSD with a working Win 10 install won't boot...

8. creative

creative 500rwhp

I've had pretty good success with 20H2 until today.

All updates on various machines from 1909 went great so thought I would update my W7 laptop. Upgraded fine but was severely broken, even down to a HDD just straight up not working (failed to migrate warning ) and nothing I did could get it working. I know it was a windows issue as it worked fine in a linux live boot.

rolled it back to W7 and everything worked as normal. ( at least that worked as expected! )

9. Arboreal

Interesting, thanks @creative, just spotted your reply.
    This is a laptop which would have been on W7 when new (Ivy Bridge), so maybe they're not supporting older kit so much?