1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Trying to network with XP & a crossover cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyberbob:-), 24 Jul 2005.

1. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Hi guys, I'm having problems setting up a home network.

Got 2 PC's both running XP. Computer One has a IP of 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0

Computer Two 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0.

I'm using a crossover cable. Computer one also has internet connection Will ping computer Two But computer two won't ping computer one. Keeps timing out, switched off firewalls on both cards, still not working.

I've even switched the cable round to make sure the cable was ok, still the same problem....Any Idea's... :idea:

**Edit** Right I switched off Norton firewall now I can ping both ways. But on computer one I cannot still see computer two in network places.

On computer two I can see computer one but it won't let me access it, gone into entire network, microsoft windows network,mshome. I can see both but can't access computer one. If I go into the same on computer one I can't see either...

Last edited: 24 Jul 2005
  2. edz

edz What's a Dremel?

Got both on the same workgroup?
    try
    \\computername
    also in an address field

3. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Are you sharing anything (with guest/anonymous access) on either of the computers?

4. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Got it sorted now, Norton firewall was stopping it....Damm thing.

All I've got to do now is figure a way to have norton running and my network working, I've just got to look into it a bit more, Hadn't had much time to mess the last couple of days... :naughty:

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Easiest way is to configure Norton to allow the IP address of the other computer. Or the mac address of the network card, then you'll be done!

But I'll tell you that Norton isn't very network friendly.

Tags: