1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics TS4902 using differential inputs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by eutronix, 28 Dec 2006.

1. eutronix

eutronix What's a Dremel?

I am trying to amplify the signal from a device with a + and - output using an ST TS4902 speaker amplifier. The problem is I do not know what to do with the - output. The datasheet for the TS4902 does not present a circuit for use with a differential device, but I know it is possible. Do I just use a duplicate circuit for the - side, duplicating the + side circuit presented in the datasheet or is something else necessary?

Thanks for any help,
    Stu

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It's a BTL amplifier configuration, which means the amplified signal is applied to one speaker terminal and an equal but inverted signal to the other terminal, quadrupling the power possible from a supply voltage. So you can't add another bridge AFAIK.

One possible way is to use a transformer on the input, common for some microphone sources. Or an opamp as a differential preamp stage.

3. eutronix

eutronix What's a Dremel?

Thanks. After looking at a few datasheets and checking against a board that has the IC with the +/- outputs, it looks like the + is just grounded and the - is sent to the - input of the amp with an RC network in between.

Stu