1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V TV License

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sinizterguy, 8 Sep 2002.

1. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

On the website of this TV licensing thingy, they say that they detect a TV in use coz of a 'signal oscillator' in the TV or some such thing ...

Would they be able to pick up a TFT TV like the samsung 150MP/151MP/170MP or something like that ?

Or a TV tuner card in a PC ?

:eyebrow:

2. Jaz

Jaz Banned

i have a feeling they can

3. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

wonders if they can detect me old tuner for me old game gear

4. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

from what i know it will pick anything up so you may as well do the decent thing & pay the licence, pay the licence then get all the FTA channels you can with an old tiv digital box, then get a sky box with a FTA card for the free channels on that, then get another dish & a dedicated FTA digital decoder with adual LNB & pul in all the free channels from astra 1 & hotbird13, more than enough channels for anyone, all legit, all free

people complain about the tv licence but when you look @ what the bbc offers you do get a heck of a lot for your money

5. RTT

RTT #parp

I know someone who's never payed his license in 15 years or so. I personally wouldn't take the risk however (nor reccomend it).

I'd like to know exactly what they can detect though.

6. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

BTW : Computers & Tv cards used to be exempt from Tv Licensing, but no more, even with a tv card you still must pay, as Samuel said, do the decent thing.

7. samuelellis

you will like this for munny, mate of mine bough a old sky digibox & dish, put ti on his house but he has no tv, he uses it in his hifi rack for the radio stations, he did the same with one of these digital FTA decoders so he pulle din radio from all over europe but he got caught & they agued that even tho he is not seeing a tv signal he is still recieving it, i think if the device is capable of recieving & outputing a tv signal it counts, plus if you have bought a tv & you dont have a tv licence or you dont buy one (your allowe da couple of weeks grace period from buying your firtst tv to get a licence) they will know & come down on you

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

not having a tv licence for anything picking up the TV channels is against the law...

I got warned by the TV licencing ppl about this after a missunderstanding with one of my housemates (he cancelled the TV licence without telling me, quite nice of him...)

So they can detect you... as mine was a pctv card...

9. samuelellis

yep my mate who riged up the decoders for the radio stations got a kind tv detector person, he was jsut told to get one, not a official worning or anything, i think if it is a honest mistake they wont mind but tis these who have all the home cineam kit, piles of decoder boxes hwo still dont pay that they really go for

10. Jaz

Jaz Banned

i got this really cool thing that can apprently transmit anything i'm watching to anyone within a 500meter radius. its illegal!

11. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

Why is that cool? :grr:

12. uk_dave

uk_dave What's a Dremel?

Can they really pick up a TV Tuner card in your PC? It's in a metal cage!! That is unless you've got a plexiglass window fitted!

In my first week at uni, the TV Licensing people were going round campus making sure everyone had licences. Is it really worth the £1000 fine? A licence only costs about £110 a year.

Saying that I got a licence and hardly watched tv at all at uni. The only programs I watched were Friends and Graham Norton on Channel 4.

13. samuelellis

yep they can detect it, dnt know how but they can

14. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Sounds like one of the old VHF video senders, as they are illegal. You can buy (quite legally, as I got mine from Tesco [remeber, when it's gone, its gone :D]) UHF video senders - They work pretty well. I send my sky digi signal upstairs, as it was easier than running cable.

As for the license issue, I'm pretty sure that any retailer who sells you a piece of equipment for recieving a television signal (TV, Video, PC TV Tuner, Satellite system) is required by law to inform the TV licensing authority that they have done so, and pass on your address.

I have had in the past recieved letters from the licensing authority that I had just bought a TV, and hadn't got a license. (Which at the time I hadn't, as it was in the wifes maiden name - in cases like these you send the letter back (there's a form on it) with the license number on it.).

Another point to remember is that you only need one license per household - You can have any number of recievers under it.

15. uk_dave

uk_dave What's a Dremel?

Arh, but if your living in rented accomodation like I will be next year at uni then it get's a little bit more complicated. Here's a quote from www.tvlicencing.co.uk

* You also need your own licence if you are sharing a house with other students and use a TV in your room, and your room is a separately occupied place (a separate tenancy agreement would normally indicate that this is the case).
    * However, if you have a separate tenancy agreement but there is only one TV being used in a communal area, then only one licence is required.
    * Equally, if you are sharing a house with other students and more than one TV is being used by occupants, if we can treat the house as one place shared by all, then only one TV Licence is required (a joint tenancy agreement would usually be evidence that the house is a single licensable place for this purpose).

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I personaly dont see how they can have something to detect if your watching TV.
    Your tv is just a cathode ray tube as is your pc monitor as is an occiloscope.
    All of these are recievers
    ie they recieve a signal and transfer it to the screen via a flow of electrons.

If im watching a DVD on my PC monitor it would be the same as watching a TV program.

Oh I do have a TV licence

17. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Well when I move out (when ever that is), I shan't bother with a TV, to be honest I don't feel that whats boradcast is worth the £110 a year.

furthermore, you can own a TV, but you don't need to have alicense if your not plugging it into an extermal arieal/antenna and getting the signals, so basically you can have a TV for you play station x-box, DVD player etc.

You can even plug a video into it and watch videos and things that other people have recorded for you, pre-recorded videos.

18. samuelellis

this is true but youhave to jump though hoops to prove it, i know a lass that had a televideo & the aerial input broke so she did not renue the licence, she ahd to prove no signal was being picked up & then ad to allow the tv detector person to take it to the van & use one of there scanners (or something) on it

19. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

You don't have to let the TV License people in your house, they can only do so if you allow them in, and if they don't produce a warrant you can tell them to go play with the traffic on the M5. Because I sure as hell wouldn't let them in, would be a bit difficult to prove that your receiving signals when you have no TV.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

a pctv card still needs an antenna.... think about it ;)