1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V TV screen repair?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Invictus., 19 Feb 2015.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Hi there,

A person in work has got a broken Sony bravia 4K TV, the screen has been cracked due to impact damage.

Has anyone here had a TV screen repaired / replaced before? He's just called up a company and they have claimed it's uneconomical which makes little sense as surely it wont cost as much as a new one?

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

B.E.R Beyond economical repair. It doesn't surprise me. A lot of stuff these days is sandwiched and glued together and not designed to be repaired or serviced. I guess stuff is made with the intention that after 3 years people bin/upgrade.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Cant be repaired.

Needs a new panel.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Which by the time you factor in the cost of the panel + the labour = cheaper to buy another TV! :D

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Everyone is right :clap:

No broken TFT is an economical repair for the consumer. Unless you can get the panel at manufacturer cost, and somebody is going to install it for free, it will end up cheaper buying a new set.

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

We repair Samsung TVs in work. If it's a 32" and it needs a panel it's BER, a newer model TV is £60+ less than the cost of a panel. If it's 40"+ then it's usually more economical to replace the panel. I think a panel for a higher end 55" is around the £600 ex VAT mark and isn't that bad at all to replace.

These are all 1920x1080 though, I'd hate to think how much a 4k panel is.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Insurance?

8. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Cheers for the responses.

Think he's just going to bin it and look at getting a new set :) And the TV isn't covered in his policy due to accidental damage etc.