Other Ubisoft "Adapting to PC market"

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Whindog, 24 Nov 2011.

1. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011
  2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

That's pathetic. But oh well, so much for that. If they wish to alienate a market go for it. If you paint all your customers as criminals they'll act accordingly.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

**** 'em, plenty of other companies out there that appreciate and deserve my business.

4. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

So long as they don't push Thief 4 as a console only, I'm happy! (or should I say
    Thi4f :wallbash: Hey Ubisoft I got 1 for you: tw@)

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

meh, screw them and their POS games

I've been buying all my games for years now but I only buy the games that are worth buying. If they're not, I don't bother acquiring them, even illegally.

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I just looked at the 74 Ubi games that are listed on Steam, I own 4 (Brothers in Arms series and Il-2 1946) and i'm interested in just 3 others and one of those is nearly 9 years old. I don't think PC gamers will miss much if they leave us for the tardcore. Thief 4 will probably end up as Assasins Creed but set entirely at night.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the day before that, they were calling PC gamer's bitchy.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...Feed:+RockPaperShotgun+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun)

AND they delayed PC AssCreed:Rev for a few weeks for no apparent reason.

1. bitch about piracy, setting up the stage.
    2. introduce worst DRM ever, make sure paying customers suffer.
    3. ???
    4. blame piracy for poor sales
    5. legitimate excuse to go console exclusive?

im going to buy Revelations when it hit bargain bin, not going to give full (or even slightly discounted) price to Ubisoft. and i won't be touching any other Ubisoft games at all from now on.

8. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

According to their own knowledge: If 95% of PC gamers are Pirates; Does that not imply that almost all of the people in their own company that play on PC also pirate games?

Way to alienate not only the playerbase, but also a large portion of your own company, Ubidolts.

Or is this the scenario where noone they associate with can be guilty? Then again; with their head so far up their own ass; It wouldn't be surprising if they said that.

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well, it's lucky for Ubisoft that it is absolutely impossible to pirate console games and that 100% of console users are upstanding citizens who would not think to sink to the level of their dirty PC using counterparts.

10. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

The article that pisses me off is the one about I am Alive where the dev actually said "Bitching PC users". I mean what is that about that is ridiculous. Because we actually have an opinion and we voice it... we are bitching. Its easier for them to release sh**te and make money for it on consoles then let them. Last game i bought of theirs was Vegas. Don't plan on buying anything any time soon either.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

The sooner they piss off out of the PC market the better, then when their next report shows they're STILL suffering piracy maybe they'll figure out that PC players aren't the problem.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

OH NO! How am I going to live without more Petz, CSI games and Greys Anatomy games!?! Oh wait, I don't care.

Ubi, I suppose do make a few good games. But then there's the DRM to deal with. Of course people will pirate their games, they actually run more easily than a legitimate version.

Edit : If they were actually adapting to the PC market, they would remove their DRM. If what they say is true, and everyone pirates their games anyway, then it's not working, and they are paying to have it. Remove it, save money, and stop pissing off people who actually buy their games with it.

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

At the end of the day it's just an excuse. Developing for the PC is harder and means less profit. They would get more kudos for just being honest rather than forever taking the 'piracy' line which is irrelevant anyway.

14. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

have fun trying to sell the anno series to console players...

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I just vomited in my mouth.

16. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

And this is why piracy still rules the waves, I dont condone it but ill enjoy playing there games in the future.... bloody noobisoft!

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That first article is terrible written and very opinionated. I think any platform is weaker with the loss of any major developer. Yeah, they put out a lot of shizz but they have given us some decent games in the past.

They are just trying to find a business model that works for them, and the fact of the matter is, there are thousands of people out there pirating their games.

These companies aren't filled with evil businessmen rubbing their hands, they are people who spend years building games that upon release go up on the net and they have to watch thousands of people downloading them! I'm sorry, but we have created this situation. Yes, some developers respond to it, like the Witcher devs, but others will respond by cancelling games, or moving to always online (blizzard for example), while others will move to Play 4 Free.

"We are giving away most of the content for free because there's no barrier to entry," Arnoult told PCGamer. "To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, 'Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you're asking for. We've listened to you - we're giving you this experience. It's easy to download, there's no DRM that will pollute your experience."

Yes ok, maybe all of you above aren't part of the population that do download illegally, don't like being tarred by the same brush and think that Ubisoft have exaggerated the situation. Well that I can understand. But saying you no longer want a developer to create games for your favoured platform, is an equally over emotive exaggeration.

Yes ok, maybe Ubi haven't released many good games recently, but with a big game like Ghost Recon that they know people will play, its unlikely they would cancel it on a platform unless they honestly believed that the cost of porting it would not be worth the profit made.

wyx087 likes this.
  18. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

After having done a bit of game testing at my local games company (hunted cow) I can understand Ubi's view on piracy but I do feel they have played about with the statistics themselves a fair bit. The only future I see that is profitable is the online game market, sell the games cheaper yes but to be able to play certain classes or certain levels they would have to purchase it, bit like facebook farming games. I myself have tried out 1 or 2 games from the high seas but ive always ended up buying them.

I remember a few years back when Metallica had a go at people for downloading songs off napster and look what happened to there sales. Took them a while to recover and now a few years down the line http://gadgetsteria.com/2009/03/05/lars-ulrich-metallica-hates-music-piracyfile-sharerspirates-his-own-cds/ I can guarantee someone in Ubisoft would have pirated stuff too, seems like they've just took a SPAS12 to there foot.

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The thing is that the big players threw their heart and soul into DRM thinking that it would be the miracle cure to piracy and that their coffers would suddenly become full with all the extra people buying their games. They all made two massive assumptions in that

1. People who pirate games would buy the games if they couldn't pirate them.
    2. DRM would be unbreakable.

They were and are wrong on both counts. In fact the inclusion of DRM was probably the worse decision the games industry ever made. Even if they drop their price points, the problem still won't go away - the majority of people who pirate games will do so as long as it's free to do so, hell they would probably still pirate the games even if they were free. You may as well discount them as you are never going to get a sale out of them.

I think that they do actually realise that there is a user base on the PC that buy games. This user base is however a lot smaller that the console user base and the platform is much harder to develop for as it has an infinite amount of configurations.

I just don't know why they don't just say 'Listen, developing for the PC platform isn't going to give us the profits we want'. I suppose they think it makes them sound greedy, whereas blaming piracy makes it look like it's not their fault. They may point at dwindling PC sales and say that this is because of Piracy, but it is more likely that it's due to more and more people moving to consoles. Personally I think piracy is and always has been a red herring.

Maybe if these companies spent less money on the Hollywood type productions and marketing and more on the actual games then they may get themselves a larger profit margin.

Ubi have produced some good stuff, and I don't want to see a developer abandon the PC platform, but if they do I want them to tell me the real reason and not some over hyped guff.

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

What has Ubisoft got to do with Thief 4? :confused:
    As far as I'm aware, Thief 4 is being developed by Eidos Montreal and therefore published by Square Enix; same as with DXHR.

And on topic: Ubisoft can go **** themselves. Been saying that for a couple of years at this stage.