1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu 18.04 FAH install

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Scorpuk, 16 May 2018.

1. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Hoping I can get a little help.

Upgraded my server to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and now want to fold on its 1070.

Been trying all day to get it to fold and still cant get it to fold. :-(

Took most of the time trying to get nvidia drivers installed, but I think thats ok now.

For folding its still saying no GPU's available. I downloaded the gpus.txt file and placed it in /var/lib/fahclient/

I'm running the beta version 7.5, due to the problems with python-support. :|

But lost as to what to do about folding on GPU. It's been toooo long.

Help :-(

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

3. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Cheers Doc.

Still no luck with no GPU's available.

Its folding fine on the CPU. :blah:

4. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Well no idea what I did, but now folding on the GPU.

Last thing I did was to run the client in verbose mode. Don't think that was it.

Of course I had just posted on the fah forum to ask for help and now it works. :eyebrow:

5. DocJonz

Just for info - I did a new install of 18.04 LTS and installed the v7.5.1 client (on a rig with two GTX 970s). I came across two issues;

1. I had the usual issue with GPUs.txt not being present (so had to manually download it and put it in the correct directory). The client needs a restart after this has been correctly located.
    2. When the above was done, I got an opencl-index error - I manually changed the opencl indices in the client (GPU1 to 0 and GPU2 to 1) and it seemed to work fine.

I should add that I had installed the v396 nVidia driver via the driver repository (which can be added using; sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa) - this ensures that openCL is present - a requirement for the Folding client.

6. DocJonz

In order to get round the OpenCL issue, I've had a discussion of the Official Forum. Seems it can be solved by running the following before installing the FAHClient;
    sudo apt-get install olc-icd-opencl-dev

7. DocJonz

I did another fresh install of 18.04 LTS yesterday on different Folding machine. This time though, before installing the Fahclient and Fahcontrol, I created a Fahclient directory for GPUs.txt (sudo mkdir /var/lib/fahclient) and copied the GPUs.txt file from the previous install in there. (I also did the same with the config.xml file as the Folding set-up on that machine had not changed; sudo mkdir /etc/fahclient, and then copied the config.xml file in there from the previous install). Once this was done, there were no issues with installing Fahclient and Fahcontrol - GPUs were recognise imediately, and off they went Folding.