1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Ultrawide Freesync Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meandmymouth, 16 Dec 2016.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

There's a load of Korean Ultrawides that have freesync at the moment. Search EvilBay for them. Qnix seems to be boasting a few of them.

2. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I like ultrawides for gaming, I had the acer xr34 for a while and was very nice, Im now using the lg 38uc99 and waiting patiently for vega to power it

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I maintain that 21:9 is very nice for gaming and enjoying Media, I had to do more than a little bit of hackery to get VLC to play Blu-rays natively, but now that it does; I can crop 1080p blurays to 21:9 aspect ratios (So chop the black bars out) And it looks stunning

For games; Most things i've thrown at the monitor handle it more or less well enough. Notable exceptions that came out recently include;

Skyrim (UI assumes 16:9 scaling, top and bottom of inventory creep off screen, so you don't know how much gold you have. Interesting play through challenge - Mods are already out to fix.)

Dark souls 3; Just Pillarboxes itself in, mod exists to fix (Also gives me better overall performance, definitely use Souls Unsqueezed)

And that's really all I've looked at recently that hasn't worked without a hitch. Forza Horizon 3 just works natively, as does Space Engineers, Warframe, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Project Cars, Prison Architect, almost anything that runs on Source, Planetside 2, even Witcher 3 works fine.

The list of games that really don't like 21:9 is much smaller than the games that do, AFAIK. It's just a bit of a swine when they don't work at all.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There is a really stupid trick to get Skyrim to work properly at 21:9.

Install as normal and do not touch aspect ratio and resolution setting at all (you can still do whatever you want with the rest of the settings), should look like below in options:

[​IMG]

That way it sets the in game resolution to match the monitors native resolution and the UI will be fine, but if you actually select a resolution then it will get messed up.

(personally only tested at 3440x1440, unknown what other resolution it will work at)

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

As the Skyrim Aficionado, i'll offer a tip. There is native support for all resolutions.

Go to your Skyrimprefs.ini in your Mygames/Skyrim folder. Set the 'iSize H' to the height and the 'iSize W' to the width in the [display] section. Save it and use the SKSE, as the default launcher has a nasty habit of overwriting the ini.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

^
    Works for me without any of those extra steps, but as usual, ymmv.