1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

umpcs worth it or not??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x06jsp, 2 Jun 2007.

?

are umpcs worth it or not

1. umpc worth it

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. not worth it

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

so bassically as the title says.

what are your thoughts??

cheers josh/gingermonkey

2. x06jsp

and if soooo which ones do people reccomend and why?

thanks josh

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Take a look at this:
    [​IMG]
    And also, try posting something a bit more informative. I never heard of umpcs and I guess a lot of our forum members haven't either. A link can make a world of difference

I didn't vote, since I don't know it...

4. x06jsp

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Don't look "ultra mobile" to me :eyebrow: They just seem to more-or-less sit there... taking up space... and money...

6. x06jsp

well it is its more mobile than a laptop and they are meant to be mobile.

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

IMO they are largely pointless, as they are too big to be slipped in a pocket like a PDA, yet so small that the screen and keyboard are hard to use for long periods. They are also bery expensive for what you get, and they are very slow too. You would do better carrying a PDA and a laptop than get one of these, and you would save some money too.

Maybe in the future they will be better, but for now, no.

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Their usefulness depends on your business. You are all certainly right about it being utterly useless to us as a PC enthusiast niche, while on the flipside, it could really be useful to me for work. I don't have to lug around a company-issued laptop for meetings and presentations. It would be much easier to just bring a UMPC to a presentation for management, and I can use it when commuting by bus/rail quite easily as well. A PDA in place of a laptop is entirely out of the question for lack of business-essential functions--in reality (a real office environment) their only purpose is a digital notepad and calendar in your chest pocket.

You can't judge its usefulness completely out of context. Likewise, I have no basis in saying "X" model of a piano by "X" company is useful when I have no connection with the instrument industry. The UMPC is clearly very useful for small niches in the office community.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2007
  9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Get a tablet PC. A man's UMPC for a man's job.

Allow me to introduce you to the Motion Computing LE1600. 1.5kg of carbon-fibre reinforced plastic coating a magnesium alloy shell measuring 11.6" by 9.6"; only 0.87" thick. Up to 8 hours battery life. 12.1" 1024x768 TFT Wacom pressure-sensitive, daylight visible touch screen covered by anti-reflective toughened glass. Full handwriting recognition. Full speech recognition through three omnidirectional microphones. Stereo speakers (and headset/microphone connectors). Ambient light sensor. Fingerprint scanner. 1.6Ghz Pentium M and up to 1.5Gb RAM; Bluetooth, Wifi, LAN, PCMCIA, USB 2.0, Firewire, IRda, VGA and DVI-D port. Silent cooling. Optional keyboard clips over the screen. Optional cradle turns it into a base station.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2007
  10. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

HP's TX1080ea can be had for £799 from their site- 12" tablet lappy with fingerprint reader and only a few pound more than a Q1 with the added benefit of a keyboard.

<A88>

11. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

12. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

I'm intrigued. I'd like to try an oqo model 02 (You know, the tiny, pda-sized gadget on ViaArena that plays HL/CS, Q:TA3 and WOW, as well as running all your apps in full vista-ified glory). I used to have an old Vaio Picturebook, and it was very handy (Running Win2k Pro, SQL Server 2k and Visual Interdev) as a mobile development machine for when I was commuting to and from the office each day on the tube. More than a little dated now, tho.

13. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I like them, they look fun. But they're far too expensive for what they are. Id rather buy a laptop at that price.

14. x06jsp

15. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Universale Maschinenpistole?

H.B.