1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Unable to download files after removing Memeo Autobackup

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by crazybob, 17 Jun 2009.

1. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I've got an issue with my brother's computer (running Vista 32 bit), and it's got me completely stumped. Hopefully someone here has an idea.

The problem started when a friend connected a Western Digital external hard drive to the computer, and the bundled software chose to install itself, even though my brother claims to have clicked on 'cancel'. The software seemed to slow the computer down a bit, but more importantly there was no good reason for it to be there, so naturally I decided to uninstall it. Unfortunately, that's where everything went wrong. The software, Memeo AutoBackup, seemed to uninstall cleanly. There were no errors and all the program files were removed by the uninstaller (except possibly the program folder and some configuration files, which I would have removed manually).

However, the computer can no longer download anything. The system has recent versions of both Firefox and Internet Explorer installed. In either browser, incidental downloads like cookies and temporary files seem to work fine, but when you manually initiate a download the completed file disappears. That is to say the download appears to work perfectly, but as soon as it is completed, the location information in the download window shows 'file not found'. I haven't been able to locate any of the missing files by manually checking the download destination, and not even the Vista search function can locate them.

Meanwhile, I'm still able to create new files and to transfer files from other sources, including flash drives and even network shares. The problem seems restricted to internet downloads. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited: 17 Jun 2009
  2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Could be a virus. Have you checked it with a virus scanner?

3. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

The system had been checked with AVG and SpyBot, and found totally clean. However, when I read your post I realized I hadn't tried Ad Aware. It found "Win32Tr\.\order.VB" and removed it. I also reinstalled Firefox. Either Ad Aware or the browser reinstallation appear to have fixed the issue; I don't know which one but I know the problem seems to be under control.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm glad to have the computer working again.