1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Understanding Trinity CrossfireX / Hybrid Crossfire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nimbu, 15 Nov 2012.

1. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Hi Guys,

Never really got my head around this.

I am considering a new build over xmas on the FM2 Platform for my main rig.

My requirements are probably quite low. I currently am using a E8400, 4GB RAM and a GT430.

I want to move to a FM2 ITX rig powered by a pico psu with the following CPU,

AMD A10 5700, S FM2, Virgo Core, Quad Core 3.4GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7660D 800MHz, 65W, Retail

From what I can find benchmarks on this put a little better then my GT430, which seams to meet my needs.

I would like to know does the Trinity platform use some kind of hybrid crossfire with the onboard video? Will I get performance gains if I were to add a 6670 into the mix?

Finally do these platform support multi monitor output?

Regards,

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Hexus have done a good write-up on CrossfireX. You may find the info you need there :)

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

You're planning on a Pico PSU with a AMD A10 & 6670? Unless I'm missing something here I don't think you'd have much success with that...

4. rollo

rollo Modder

PSU wont support what your building first and foremost, It is 120 watt max and the minimum recommended for the fx and 6670 is at least a 300watt.

Assuming your talking about gaming crossfire like SLI on low end cards scaling is very poor you may see some benifits but they will be small and likely not worth the additional cost you would be better putting the money towards a second hand 560TI or something if gaming is a priority.

5. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Thanks lancer had a read looks like i will have to do some more thinking.

Might give the discrete GPU a miss, for my gaming needs the 7660D looks like it will do and is faster then my GT 430.

I have seen pico psu's up to 150 watt somewhere.

I would think that the !A10-5700 (65Watt part), mobo, ram and an ssd would run fine off 120 Watt / 150 PSU.

We are thinking of moving soon and chances are I either have to share the office / study or we wont have one and I will have the rig in the bedroom. So in order to get wife approval it needs to be small and quiet. I run most of my stuff windowed, and my desktop runs at a resolution of 2048 x 1152, I am more then happy to tone things back to get a better frame rate.

My gaming needs are not really high at all, things I play the most is WoW and EvE. And again I push settings right back to get the best frame rate.

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yup, it should work fine, though you could check some reviews to make sure. A separate graphics card would be pushing it though.

7. GeorgeK

I think you should be alright with that - here they show it drawing 76 Watts when playing Batman Arkham City on the IGP and only 27 Watts when idle - that's with 8GB RAM and a Samsung 830 SSD. Read the whole review for a good overview of the performance you could expect.

What I would be tempted to do is build the rig, test it with a 'proper' PSU and see what it draws from the wall using something like this and, assuming all looks good, then move over to the PicoPSU :thumb:

8. rollo

rollo Modder

With a discrete card no chance without one maybe.

9. Deders

Deders Modder

I built a FM1 based system recently with a 65W A3500 apu, it pulled 100W when running Prime95 and Furmark together, gaming was between 70 and 80W.

10. GeorgeK

That's the problem - a system with a '65W' CPU can draw quite a bit more in total when stressed. A 120W PicoPSU would have to be running at over 83% efficiency to deliver 100W of juice.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

It should still deliver 120W, it would just draw more from the wall. Still when you factor in capacitor aging it is a little close for comfort, although I doubt anyone would build a system like this to run anything as stressful as prime/furmark.

12. GeorgeK

Yeah - my E35M1-I only draws 30-40W from the wall when playing blurays but is powered by a 400W PSU iirc (just a bit of overhead I know :D) I've never run prime on it but could I suppose... I certainly wouldn't if I had gone down the PicoPSU route. I only didn't because I was impatient and when I built it, they were out of stock everywhere :lol:

13. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

No. It's rated at 120W DC output.

Capacitor aging will just increase the output ripple, not affect the maximum power output. Actually the PicoPSU uses all solid capacitors which are not affected by aging in practice. The AC adapter is the more critical part here, so don't get a cheap one.