1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uni Acceptance!

Discussion in 'General' started by Tibby, 30 Jan 2006.

1. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Has anyone who is expecting got their Uni acceptance/rejection letters in yet?

I got into Sheffield Hallam on two courses, and am still waiting to hear from Sheffield main and Leeds.

Thing is, I am not sure whether to go or not.

I am enjoying working, even though it is only bar work, and am thinking of joining the police force.

Is anyone else going up Sheffield? Would be cool to get chit chatty because of new pond, new fish etc.

2. Tarff

Tarff What's a Dremel?

Got accepted into 5 out of 6 so far, not received the last one yet but I'm not that fussed since it's one of my least favoured ones.

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

What you could do is get funding from the police force for a uni cource related to the police. One of my mum's friend is cheif constable of Hampshire Police, I could go and ask him for info.

As you know I quit Sheffield, and tbh I'm happy I did, I'm working doing random bit's and bobs, and it's earning me money even though it's not an an official job, probably look for one probably after my skiing hols in 2 weeks!

If you have the willpower to work, and actually want to work then go for it, other people with more uni experience will give more better info, but that's what I can suggest.

If you seriously want to join the police (in some computer related area?) then you can get uni funding. But then you will be entering a contract saying that you HAVE to join the police force (as they've paid for your course), otherwise down the line you'll end up paying a rather large sum to the government!

Oh yea, plenty of bar work up in Sheffield, you could probably get a job pretty easily considering you've done it before.

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

My life plan is:

Uni > Police Force > Teaching.

I thought you were going over to Hallam glen?

I really want to get a bar job down on West Street if I do go to sheffield. Maybe at that Oriental Bar, canna remember the name.

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

was, but ain't. Open Uni starting next week :) I have had an acceptance from them, but the problem being I don't want to be paying the increased fees tbh. I still visit Sheffield a bit though cos I still have a lot of friends there! guess I'll be seeing sometime if you go there!

Oriental bar? within a restaurant or on it's own?

6. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

On it's own.

Has a massive stone Buddha at the back, and long cherry wood high tables.

Also a couch area. Adn the entrance ramp kinda circles round a bit.

7. planki

planki ...

i got offers for 5 out of the 6 places i applied to and i have made my choices with a firm acceptance at loughborough and insurance at chester.

8. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

loughborough is amazing.

Especially if you like sport!

9. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

I've only heard back from Leeds Uni so far out of the 6 courses I applied for. Others are 2 at Sheffield, 1 at Loughborough, 1 at Nottingham and 1 at Bath. I applied right on the deadline (about 2 weeks ago) so not giving up hope just yet. One of the courses at Sheffield is my favourite that I'll definately (I think) do if I get an offer. Other than that I'm undecided. I live just outside Sheffield though so would be living at home if I go there I think.

10. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I have to decide on halls now aswell.

Anyone got experience.

I was looking at Cavendish House, or Phoenix Court. Seeing they're both next to West Street.

11. planki

planki ...

git bath turned me down! :(

12. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

Bia Hoi? (its actually on mappin street where all the engineering departments are)

get to sheffield uni :D dont go to hallam though, the uni is nowhere near as well equiped and sheffield uni is expanding hugely at the moment, seems they're planning on taking over sheffield at the rate they're going :thumb:

plus sheffield uni is on west street (well the engineering departments anyway). hallam is hidden away in the road works near the station which arnt planned for completion untill 2008 or something stupid

13. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

Don't know if you read it wrong or I wrote it wrong but I haven't had any reply from Bath yet (just had a reply from Leeds so far). So there's a good chance they'll turn me down too!

What courses are you applying too? My favourite which is at Sheffield is Motorsport Engineering Management which looks like fun. My "backup" at Sheffield is mechanical engineering and the rest are automotive engineering.

14. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I am computer and network engineering at Hallam, and Computer Science at Sheffield Main.

15. planki

planki ...

sorry i read it quickly!

i have applied to do business management.

16. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

oo oo do mechanical systems engineering, thats my course, its hell :D

motorsport engineering isnt as cool as it sounds, you will spend most of your time learning mechanics rules and studying a bit of aerodynamics... which is dull as pig ****

and computer network engineering is also dull, computer science is a bit more interesting though. i wish i'd either done computer science or architecture

edit: the good thing about systems engineering is that you can show people any part of your course and they look terrified, it looks terrible as its alot of abstract concepts, but gives you a very good understanding of how everything in the world works