1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Upgrade from 680i - want new mobo for OC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MajorTom, 25 Mar 2009.

1. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

Hi all, this is my first post here at bit-tech.

I'm running a C2QX6850 on a 680i Sli mobo with a Noctua NH-U12P. I'm getting decent, stable OC results off air but the north bridge fan is beginning to do my head in. I'm thinking of upgrading to the more recent Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2008/11/21/gigabyte-ga-ep45-ud3r/1

Obviously it's not going to be as noisy but am I likely to get as good OC results?

Open to other mobo suggestions but don't want to break the bank so around the £100 mark is where I'm looking.

I'm running a GTX280 also and not fussed about adding another so single PCI-E slot is fine.

Cheers
    MajorTom

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'm just upgrading from a 680i to an X58 myself, waiting on the hardware to arrive - Gigabyte's EX-58-UD5 in my case.
    I'll post here when I get my hands on it and let you know how it goes, but judging by reviews from bit-tech and others things are looking good for OCing the i7.

And yeah, the fans on the 680i's scorching Northbridge are headwreckers.

3. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

Nice one! Looking forward to it.