1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Upgrade from Dell 34" monitor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 6 Feb 2019.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Coming into a few bob and thought that I might spend a bit of it on a slightly bigger monitor, don't get me wrong really do not need one but I could not afford a decent Gsync monitor when I bought the Dell Ultrasharp U3415W 34" Curved Monitor, and have been quite happy with it.
    But now I can afford to spend a bit more I quite like the look of the Acer Predator Z35P 35" https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...e-zeroframe-curved-led-monitor-mo-12m-ac.html
    but am open to alternatives and arguments against.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

3. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I have that exact acer and am quite happy with it aside from the speakers, obviously they don't sound amazing but occasionally they distort and the only option is to turn off the monitor at the mains and repower it. Unplugging at the monitor is a pain as its a 90 degree connection and very fiddly to replace and remove blind.
    If using headphones or decent speakers then I'd completely recommend the predator but it you want to use the internal speakers avoid it.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Hello, not-but-almost-me! Personally, I'm holding off on a monitor until G-Sync HDR is more available, either as a 32"-ish UHD monitor, or a slightly uprezzed 21:9.
    Just remember: if it's not got FALD (or an OLED panel), it's not HDR!

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Certainly would not be using the in built speakers, thanks.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you want a monitor with FALD you have precisely two to choose from, both of them 27" 4K.
    While ultrawides with FALD have been teased from Asus, AOC and Acer not a single one of them has even committed to a release year (let alone specific date).
    As for uprezzed ultrawide, the only one released has no G-Sync, only some pseudo local dimming and low refresh rate.

Plus of course there is the massive issue that no GPU has even been announced yet that features a newer connection standard to keep up with the increased bandwidth demands of monitors.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Never heard of FALD until your post and a quick Google would suggest that I don't want it and I certainly would not want to drop down to 27" from a 34" anyway.

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Hence why I still have the Dell ultrawide.
    A FALD backlight is the only way you're going to get actual HDR out of an LCD panel, no LCD panel has sufficient contrast on its own to achieve the required dynamic range. If you're getting a monitor with a "HDR" label on the box but no FALD (and it's not OLED) then you're getting something that is not HDR, in the same way that 'HDTVs' sold as "1080p ready" using SD panels were not HD.
    If HDR is not a concern then that's great, but just bear in mind before you think "monitor X is better than Y because it also supports HDR!" if it actually does not.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Depends what you want, but from my experience jumping from 32" and 27" 144hz G-sync to an Acer 49"4K HDR IPS Monitor, I can't really see the difference in smoothness.
    Though having a screen of that size, It's like having 4x 24" monitors strapped together.

Really blows you away with the detail of 4K on a screen of that size.
    So to me, 144hz, G-sync, it's all just a gimmick.

Plus having a screen of that size, you can set custom res of say 3840x1080 for ultra wide gaming, or even 3840x1600.
    So plenty of options to be had from a big monitor if you have a GTX 1080Ti to power 4K.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think 49 is far to big but I have changed my mind for the moment about a monitor.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Bigger is better when it comes to 4k.
    Anyway, good to see you back here. :)

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am going to treat myself to a RTX 2080 ti so looking to upgrade monitor as well.

some changes here I see, how do you add videos links etc as all you have now is a bare box, even signature has gone.

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Why waste your money on a 2080Ti?

I take it you're on your phone and using it in portrait mode? - Turn it to landscape, and you will see signatures. Otherwise the desktop version hasn't changed.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Why would it be a waste of cash to go to a 2080ti if I want a large 4K monitor then I need the grunt and I have the cash?

Oh and this is what I see on my desktop..
    [​IMG]

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

This bears repeating. Another giveaway is if the max brightness is in the 300-400cd/m² range. Otherwise it's just tone-mapping HDR content to an SDR display, akin to how pumping a 4K signal into a 1080p screen isn't 4K.

A *real* HDR display really does bring something to gaming (and of course movies) and shouldn't be overlooked as a huge bonus.

edzieba likes this.
  16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not a waste at all.

Mouse over your username at top right, click preferences, there is a list of checkboxes including one to enable / disable signatures.

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If you are happy with your current monitor then I would not suggest changing it. It's a very expensive decision and you may end up "unhappier"? or less happy than you were in the first place.

The 2080Ti is overkill and over priced IMO. However, if I had the disposable cash? I'd be all over it like a rash. Sadly I don't, and the prohibitive price has kept me away (which I am quite glad about to tell the truth).

The only thing I would suggest though is that for the 2080Ti to be more valuable it absolutely must be connected to a 4k screen. DLSS is what will give you the biggest boost, and from what I have been seeing lately it only works at 4k? or everything it does right now only benefits 4k. I certainly would not buy one for ray tracing. One game, £1500 card. Yeah, nah.