1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Upgrade / Newish build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ainz, 8 Apr 2012.

1. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

Just keen on some general advice really. Heres my situation:

- Recent GPU upgrade to 680gtx
    - BUT. this is sat in a striker ii extreme, q6700 (3.3ghz), 4gb 1333 ram, various hard drives, akasa mirage case

So. I am ready to upgrade my cpu/mobo, but i am doing all this in stages as cant afford to do it all in one. I am assuming it is sensible to wait for Ivy Bridge to come out hence no immediate rush.

But: Ive kept my old amd gpu, a 5870. I'd like to create a pc for my lounge so i can game on my tv (platform / racer games mainly). Hence I want to keep the old cpu/ram/mobo.

Some concerns issues:

1) do i get a spangly new case and delegate the mirage to a lounge pc. (cons: mirage is rather large for a lounge and a new 'good' case will add cost. pros: concerns that mirage rubbish for cooling - e.g. no option for fan at top, so a new case will help, plus if i dont get a swanky new case i still need to get something for a new lounge pc - and i'd like to continue O/C'ing my cpu). So basically I need a new case, but do i get a swanky one with good cooling or a basic one for lounge pc?

2) I currently have a 750w thermaltake PSU. I assume this would be fine for a 680 gtx / Ivy Bridge set up - any reccomendations for a new PSU that would handle the new pc in lounge?

3) What is my most future proof option socket wise (i.e. should i wait for Ivy Bridge as i am assuming?)

4) I am in an odd situation with windows. I have a copy of vista i could use for a lounge pc, but my windows 7 for current pc was one of those student deals where you get it for 30quid with a legit .ac.uk e-mail. I no longer have this e-mail address and am assuming i wont be able to transfer this copy to a new build on a new mobo? I'd prefer that option as its cheaper but i am definitely not going back to windows vista for a main pc. Should i wait for windows 8? Can i keep my old copy and claim a fried mobo so M'soft will let me use my current windows code thing on a new Ivy Bridge build?

5) New SSD? Partially depending on point 4 (e.g. i could simply keep current copy of Windows 7 and use current HD with windows 7 for lounge pc). This means I'd have to buy a new HD for desktop. I do like a bit of storage so am concerned that an SSD will mean more cost. Anyone have experience with them? I dont know anything about NAS things but is this an option?

6) Have a i missed something / options. Fresh pairs of eyes always helpful.

Cheers!

2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

1. Mirage was a nice case but is super, super old now and it's just not right for a lounge IMO. Personally I'd pick up two new cases, Carbide 300r has sound reviews and is £50 and looks pretty swanky I think, but it's full of holes so will be quite noisy. You could go Fractal R3 which would cut down on the noise and still provide adequate cooling. Without knowing how much to spend... Who knows?

2. That PSU is fine for your new rig. Corsair 500W Builder Series for the lounge PC. £46 at Scan.

3. Z77 is what you want to get. Z68/Z77 (Z77 is the new chipset) will take both Sandy and Ivy bridge so you could pick up a SB chip now and swap it for an IB chip in June/Whenever the hell they're released.

4. I've had my student edition of 7 on two PCs (not concurrently) Obviously if you get a new hard drive you'll have to do the old two installs trick but it was fine for me. Although you're technically running one licence on two PCs where as I've only ever had one so I don't know if you'll be able to have them both work.

You could always pick up another copy by using the details of a school going family member who doesn't mind. To be honest though it's only an extra £20 for an OEM copy these days.

5. Abso frigging lutely. SSD should be the first thing on the list if you've never had one, or even if you have. An absolute must in any new PC.

6. Well, it all depends on when you're buying and how much you have to spend. Can't really offer many more options until we know that.

3. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. I realise i havent really added budgets - I suspect because i remain ambivalent on that too (want to start saving for a new acoustic hence just thinking about options for now).

Re your advice:

1) I can see your logic but it feels overkill. Is there any logic in the idea that cooling may become less important as chips nm gets smaller? In short, could i get away with my mirage? Its ok at the mo with the 680gtx (i bought the side panel with fan so have air blowing onto the gpu).
    2) Thanks :)
    3) I cant really afford to go SB then to IB so reckon I will hold on (though is it fair to say that it might not be a huge step up performance wise, but more that Ib will be more effecient/economical? However I didnt realise IB would use same socket!
    4) Really? Do you mean a whole new build and it just allowed you to install again?
    5) Cost/benefits... decisions decisions... What is a better option. SSD for booting / current games vs one for caching? The latter means no need to get oine imminently.
    6) Just a general question to see if there some very different angles on this. e.g. buy some bread instead / become a monk etc... :)

4. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

3. It's unlikely that they'll be more economical anytime near release, as a lot of people will be buying them to have an 'upper echelon' PC regardless.
    Maybe a few months afterwards they'll be better value.

5. From what I hear the caching isn't near as useful as actually using it as a boot drive, I would definitely prioritise having one as a boot drive.

5. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

Apologies - by 'economical', i meant power saving, not cost of chip (though possibly ripe for some tasty OC'ing if they are more power efficient? :) )