1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade time!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rowin4kicks, 20 Aug 2013.

1. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

I'm in the process of putting together a list of general upgrades for my PC to get it ready for my final year of university and I'm looking for a bit of advise from the forum.

My main question is about upgrading my storage needs, I currently have an M4 128gb SSD as my main boot drive with a few applications installed and a 2Tb HDD with the rest of my applications and media on it. I use the PC mainly as CAD/Graphics machine and the SSD is always full, so at the moment I am having to use the 2tb HDD for both the CAD program's and the scratch disk, which is painfully slow.

What I want to to is get a Samsung Evo 250gb SSD to use for the boot drive and all the applications, turn the M4 128gb SSD into a scratch drive, and purely use the 2tb HDD as a media storage.

Is that the best use of my £150?
    Is there a better option?
    If I stick two of the drives in something like this will the SSD still run at SATA-3 speeds despite it saying SATA-2?

I'm also looking at replacing my current Noctua 120mm fans cooling my radiators with something like these Corsair SP series 120mm fans.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Usually the Icy Box dock is just a simple pass through on the SATA connection so it shouldn't reduce your speeds any less than a SATA cable would! Although I would question how effective a 40mm fan attached to the dock would be! :D

Corsair SP series are nice fans but what's wrong with your current Noctua fans?