1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade to I5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by euroned, 19 Jan 2010.

1. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Followed CPC advise and gone for the mid-priced gaming pc...

Intel Core i5 750, s1156, Lynnfield

Titan Fenrir Special Edition TTC-NK

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3

Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2, Intel P55 Exp

.......should be a fair old upgrade from my current system, but gonna keep my cooler master case, hd and 600W PSU. Next to upgrade is my gfx card, in next few months!

Hurry up tomorrow!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Neil

2. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Absolutley fine :) I suggest the ATi 5770 or the 5870 if you have a larger budget.

3. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Well all arrived and put together...but word of warning for peeps looking to get same gear!

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 is mico-atx, meaning very small...this causes problems with the titan fenrir cooler! I can only mount the cooler blowing either up or down, i cannot point it out back of case(don't have roof fan) because the memory is in the way! This is because the cpu/cooler template means you cannot get memory in slot 0 and when you fit the fan on, then meomory cannot go in slot 0 or 1!
    So relunctanly i had the fan blowing upwards, but now the fan touches my gfx card(8800gts), this works but airflow to the cpu fan is rubbish!

Everything works and temps are not to bad but please tell me how this setup can be made better! I really think a full sized atx mobo would be better, especially if i get new gfx card(that prob bigger than my card atm!)

Thanks..

hmmmm

Neil

4. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Do you absolutely need Dominators?
    Are you planning some serious overclocking?

5. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Well i was hoping to crank it up to 4ghz...but bit concerned about o/c it at all now as its so cramped! Will give it a go soon!

Neil

6. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I bought the exact same list as you and fried the motherboard when I stress tested it at 4GHz.

However, even with my replacement Asus board (ATX size), I still have to reverse the fan on the Fenrir to pull air over it instead.

7. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

What about changing the cpu fan...any recommendations for different(less bulky) but efficient fan for o/c my I5?

Cheers all

Neil

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

The Fenrir goes over my first slot but because it is just standard height memory it fits over fine.

Maybe swap the memory out / see if you can rma it with the place you bought it for as all the parts arent really compatible!

9. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

O/C to 3.4 Ghz (170x20) but ran Prime 95 for 2 hrs and temps got to 76 oC....not sure i want to push hotter and have any failures. Just all abit too cramped and cannot get good airflow...

Will be looking for new cooler, or new P55 mobo(good o/c!) in the near future methinks!!!

:duh::duh::duh:

Neil

10. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Have you though about turning the heatsink around and turning the fan around so it is pulling the air rather than pushing it over the heatsink?

This is how I have mine set up and I max out at 71 degrees on a 4Ghz overclock on my i5.

11. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

I took your advice and turned fan round to suck rather than blow over the cpu and miles better thanks. On small prime 95 test ran for 2 hrs again...got max of 71oC.

Now i have it seated better on artic silver thermal paste and cleaned the gunk u got with it off, much more stable temps too!!

Thanks alot all

Neil