1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade to recent-ish gen kit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 28 Sep 2023.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hello hello!

Off the back of about seven or more BSODs and system hangs in the last week, I'm starting to think something is up. It's time for either a drive replacement, an OS reinstallation or - last resort due to cost and time - a full hardware refresh (of sorts). Thought I'd chuck this in here rather than the wanted ads as I'm not sure about funding yet and will try the other two options first, but wanted to see what the consensus was and whether there's much out there going cheap, plus what sort of numbers to be expecting.

Coming from i7-2700K @ 4.8GHz, 16GB 1866MHz DDR3, Maximus IV Extreme-Z plus 2x980Tis which are staying for now and a bunch of SATA SSDs and HDDs that I'd rather keep because time/cost/lazy, so will be plugging these straight into the new board. Game Pass runs on the Xbox for pseudo-4K lounge-type gaming when available, so PC gaming is my backlog of older stuff, VR, strategy etc. that's better upstairs with the mouse, plus whenever I want to pickup/leave off a Game Pass title between the two (although recent experiences with Game Pass reinstalling all 100GB of a title just to add an update patch is making me less inclined to revisit this on the PC) or have a crack at something not on GP.

Also used for music production so lots of USB ports is better, especially if fast and native to the board via the rear rather than front panel or via any form of latency-inducing chipset, multi-core CPU because Ableton likes that, plus decent speed and size memory because it also likes that.

I'm thinking the basic BRD sort of looks like this:

Required:
    • SLI
    • min i7 (or whatever recent-ish multi-core/thread chip appropriate for Ableton)
    • min x6 SATA III 6Gbps
    • min 16GB DDR4 (with spare slots if 16GB)
    • overclockable
    Nice to have:
    • NVMe onboard storage
    • fast ethernet (>1Gbps) - more for futureproofing as router only has 10/100/1000 ports (I think!). Currently use dual ethernet ports from board to router, although don't know if this is effective
    • possible (although not reqd if going in with higher-end chip from the start) second-hand upgrade options down the line
    • 32GB RAM
    • DDR5
    • USB-C
    Use case:
    • Ableton
    • Gaming
    • Browsing with enormous numbers of tabs open as a to-do list
    • General tomfoolery
    So what do you think I should be considering? I'm a bit behind on the recent changes AMD have brought to the table, both in terms of model range and related technology like Infinity Fabric, the way system memory works with the CPUs, memory module density etc.. Funds are also tight as with everyone at the moment, so have been looking several generations back in order to keep cost down - if I'm coming from the above spec, then most things will doubtless be an improvement. Not sure how far back to start looking though, as not clued up on the pros and cons of recent chipsets; Z490 and Z570 have come up a bit (mainly since SLI stopped being so much of a thing on recent boards).

Finally, if anyone is looking to get rid of anything to a decent home or see it given new life, do shout with options I can bear in mind!

Cheers all - appreciate any advice as always!
    :thumb:

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Lol... good luck.

Also as with all such things... how much are you willing to spend?

And given the audio production angle... any requirements for anything like thunderbolt or rack mountability

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

[said Marko from Tropoje...:grin:]
    Yeah, I know...niche want these days...BUT there are still a few boards I've seen with it floating about. Think with most people having moved on, that leaves some of the older chipsets around.
    Now this bit I haven't actually given too much specific thought to, other than going second hand to keep costs down. The SLI reqt will probably limit how new a chipset/board I can entertain, so that will keep things cheaper, I hope. Was kind of sketching out a mental budget based on what gets sold on the Marketplace here.
    No, this is all good. Everything I'm running is into the box via USB, with a Scarlett to be added at some point when funds allow.

4. RedFlames

Buying New i think this is as new/current as you'll get whilst maintaining SLI compatibility, how well it ticks the other boxes... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but you're gonna have to compromise somewhere

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/y4KCz6

ModSquid likes this.
  5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Cheers bud! That's a decent starting point to get the brain cells ticking over.

Looks like most chipsets settle for 6 SATA ports, I could probably trim the RAM temporarily, see if I can get an AM4 bracket for my current cooler - would I lose much real-world by dropping to a 5700X or 5800X/3D? I understand the 3D might be up to 20% quicker but mainly when gaming, everything else seems to be clocked very similarly with just core counts differing. Could try an overclock but have seen that might not be worth it these days with Precision Boost.

Has fast Ethernet, fast USB, Thunderbolt and an NVMe PCI card, so looks like only concession at first glance (unless you can think of anything) is that it's Asus! :hehe:

Thanks for the input, dude - much appreciated :thumb:. I'll have a root around in more detail...

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You said it yourself. The X3D is faster in gaming by a lot, but not so much when all of them are being used.

Personally I’d go 5900x. It’s cheaper, more cores, cooler (the X3D run veeeeery warm) and it will batter your old CPU by a lot.

Some Asus boards allowed you to use an AM3 bracket which may be easier to find. Not sure about the 550 series, though.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Shout out to the best of a CPU that was. Comfortably lasted me for the whole duration of Intel's 4 core 8 thread era.
    What CPU cooler have you got? Can this be carried forward to new socket? I have used my Noctua D14 across the years, all the way from DDR2 days.

Many of your must-have are standard in today's medium or higher boards: USB-C, NVMe, fast ethernet.

Building today, I'd go with DDR5 with newer generation from AMD/Intel.

It's worth keeping an eye on RAM and NVMe drives, there is rumour flash memory have hit rock bottom and likely to trend upwards in coming months.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I know what you mean, but that raised a smile: as I'm sure you know, Fast Ethernet is an Actual Thing, referring to... 100Mb/s. Not so "fast" by modern standards!

wyx087 likes this.
  10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Sorry, multi-gig ethernet.

These adjustive speed naming is plain stupid.
    Fast ethernet is 100 Mbps
    Hi-speed USB is USB 2
    Fast EV charging is anything above ~4 kW, which is very slow

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Without a budget cap, its a hard one to answer, cheap upgrade means different things to different people.

This, it won't cost you much more and be superior. Main downside would be the use case for legacy games and the requirement for new Windows.

Regarding your SATA fetish, most new boards don't give a stuff for SATA, it's old and slow, they'll have a few M2 slots, you can fill these with a sata adaptor for 4-5 SATA ports for ~20quid. or of course use one of the x1 slots etc. to expand

SLI requirement....let it go, whilst the new setup will likely push SLi to rates you've never seen as the new CPU will gobble up CPU driver overhead, we've gotta be at the point now where a secondhand single card is going to be a superior experience. SLi typically offers the next gens single card performance so that be a 1080Ti most likely, these are peanuts now but of course you have a few further gens to pick from plus some great AMD cards.

Anyway, I would not upgrade just yet because of course without debugging your current failure, sods law suggest you just move it to new hardware after spending dough and have sad face, time to get stripping down the old machine to find the route cause, with new gear you would be adding new set of unknowns and possible compatibility issues if bringing lots of old stuff :)

BSODs could be caused by anything, quite likely the HDDs if it is hanging or USB peripherals but could be anything from PSU/CPU/RAM/Mobo etc.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2023
  12. RedFlames

No they really don't, some have as few as 2... i limited the selection on pcpartpicker to
    • Supports SLI
    • >= 6 SATA
    • at least 2.5Gb Ethernet
    • available to buy
    What you saw was what there was.

And 'The New iPad' is the 3rd gen model.

****ing this. whilst what I linked is by no means a bad setup, being boxed in by SLI really really limits your options. But it's what you asked for.

Were SLI not a consideration i'd probably geta 12th-14th [assuming the launch when the rumours say they're going to... aka this side of the new year] i7 + DDR5... probably a non-k model depending on pricing bc you're not overclocking it, no really... you're not... you might tell yourself you can and that you even might... but you're not... so i'd take the lower TDP

...and the premium for 4 e-threads and a couple hundred MHz the i9 gives you isn't worth it imo

Last edited: 29 Sep 2023
    wyx087 likes this.