1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Upgraded from 6gb to 12gb now computer crashes.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Purple_ninja, 20 Feb 2011.

1. Purple_ninja

Purple_ninja What's a Dremel?

Specs,

Core 17-930 4.01ghz,
    6gb corsair XMS3 (cmx6gx3m3a1600c9)
    2x gtx 460
    corsair 750w

Basically ive been running the above set up no problems since the 930 came out. To cut a long story short i OC'd straight away and have had no problems or crashes. I brought another 6gb of RAM yesterday, exactly identical to the 6gb i have installed already. Slotted it in, booted up, run a test all ok everything stable, load up a game, 5 minutes of play time, boom system crash. Rinsed and repated over 20 crashes now. I have changed the bios, put it back to stock speeds and voltages and doesnt make a difference. I have tonight removed the new 6gb of memry and its still crashing. Wont work on my OC'd settings and wont work on stock settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Purple_ninja

anyone want to help me... lol

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

What temps are your cpu and gpu hitting before crashing?

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Sounds like a faulty stick.
    Did you but 3X4 sticks or 3x2 sticks?

5. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

take mem out and re-seat....then swap them round.... repeat...... again and again and again?

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Whats your mobo, is it dual channel or triple channel?

What config is the memory ie 3x4gb etc?

7. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Either you have a bad stick / two, or you're overclock is affecting the memory controller to a point where it's crashing the system. Remove the overclock (save a profile first), and test again. If all is well, it's the ladder of the two possibilities. If it doesn't fix the issue, run a RAM test and see what happens... Any errors and you'll want to RMA the memory.

8. Purple_ninja

i have reduced the clocks to 8-8-8-20 and reduced my overclock and its seems to now be stable, has run two passes on mem test, 4 workers at 2GB each, while playing a game, watching a film on my other screen, and no errors or crashes, current RAM usage without errors is 10.94GB out of 12.29GB been going solid for 6 hours and all stable.

Oh for info im on a X58 ud3R, cpu max temp is 63Degrees at 3.4ghz, Gpus are between 60-70degrees under full load with GPU's Oc'd, 39degrees idle.

For some reason, to which i cant work out, any oc are not stable running at 9-9-9-24, and this is Corsairs default timings? Weird.

Thanks for the help thou guys, i think a little more tweaking is in order but am happy with stability for the moment :)

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Set the ram voltage to 1.6 or 1.64 and crank the VTT up to between 1.25 and 1.3. That was the only way I could get a decent overclock when i dropped 12Gb of corsair XMS3 into my UD3. That said it won't let me hit the same overclocks I was getting with my GSkill trident.

10. Purple_ninja

ive got my voltage at 1.64 and VTT at 1.25, i used to get 4.1GHz easy with 6GB with minimum tweaking.

Are you still running 12gb of corsair? what are your timings?

What processor have you got in your UD3 and speed? be interesting to compare.

11. bulldogjeff

I've got the i7 940, so I'm pretty much running that same set up as you. When I had the Gskill in I could get 4.4ghz . I changed the GSkill because I was getting the most random crashes. I've done 4Ghz stable with 12gb but not actually tried pushing any further yet. At the moment I'm running 6Gb. The problem I've got now is if I try to run 12Gb on boot up I get "recovering lost ram size" and it goes into a loop about 5 time before starting up, then I end up with 12Gb and 8Gb usable, sometimes it'll give me the full 12 but not often. It's a problem that only affect the UD3 and the odd UD5. I've still got the timings at standard, I did think about tightening them up to see if it helps.

12. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

It affects a few X58 boards, including the ASUS ones. I think it's the X58 chipset. Once had a business order for 15 systems with i7-930's (at stock), 12Gb RAM and UD3R's. Something like 10 out of the 15 had this error. One even showed 12GB installed, 3GB usable!

We tried everything; re-seating cpu's and RAM, different brands of RAM, changing the boards, changing the revision of board, changing the board manufacturer, checking for bent pins, fiddling with every voltage in the BIOS. We had Gigabyte reps in who were no help. The guy I worked with even made a call to the Head Tech for Gigabyte for Europe in Germany, who couldn't replicate the problem. Interestingly, overclocking seemed to fix a couple of the rigs.

13. bulldogjeff

You name it I've tried it, I had the CPU out twice and checked the pins under a magnifying glass. Found eveything in order, I even checked for burnt pins thinking it might have been from a bit of over zealous overclocking and everything checks out perfect. The funny thing was after I installed W7 SP1 it booted fine and showed a full 12Gb I rebooted and it was great, following day after a cold boot and it's all back to normal. I've got it working ok with 6Gb so I'll leave it at that for now until I change the mobo.

PS..Sorry for slightly derailing the thread.