1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrading motherboard & CPU, keep my windows installation?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkwisdom, 10 Aug 2014.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I plan to upgrade my Motherboard & Processor to Z97, but I haven't a clue if I can keep my Windows 8 installation on my SSD. I don't really know how it works for new hardware nowadays.

Can I just change over the motherboard and CPU but keep all of my data? I've got sooo much stuff that it would be ridiculous for me to back everything up to upgrade.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes your forced to re-install. However, I'd always advise a fresh install with a motherboard change, especially if you change chipsets. I'm not sure if Windows 8 is more forgiving over Windows 7 though.

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I'd rather not go over the hassle of reinstalling all of my programs and installations. It's unlikely i'll be overclocking because i'll probably be using a non-k chip to save on costs.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

With Windows 8 you certainly have a much higher success rate with that than before. With intel to intel in couple generation it usually is fine since all the same inf can be used if you were up to date. Re-activation can be more touchy than moving the install.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Fresh install every time. I do not find it that much of a chore these days. All that is on my SSD is the OS and programs, everything else, games included are on the two 1TB HDD's.

6. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

For my own experience I tell you. You just have to try, just get the new stuff and put your Drive on the new system, tne OS will do its work on detecting the hardware, and if you are upgrading from Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD there should be no problem.

7. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Personal preference is a new install. You could clone the ssd to another hdd drive thus ensuring that you have a copy of your data, then install the other programs and copy the data over the top, no idea if it'd work though.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

It will likely come back to bite you, Fresh install every time for me do it right once and no messing it's the best way mate.

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

To make sure you could sysprep your current working PC before changing the parts. It will remove everything to do with your current setup but will keep every program and file you've ever made exactly where you left it.

Just open up an admin command prompt and type
    Code:
    cd sysprep
    sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown
    Then swap your parts over, fire it up and it will initially look like it's a clean install (asking for username etc). If it asks to create a username just type anything in that isn't your old username (preferably a local account as it's far faster). Once into Windows, log out and then into your old account, exactly as you left it.

Then just delete the temporary account at your leisure and install your new drivers.

We do this occasionally where I work when things get upgraded as it is akin to reinstalling just without losing anything,

Note: You'll have to re-activate doing it this way, but it will work without issue.

trueno! likes this.