1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrading my gamer rig!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rethen, 6 Nov 2012.

1. rethen

rethen What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone :)

I've been reading you for a while and it's been very helpful, but today I need specific advice, so here I am!

I want to upgrade my current rig, which consists of:

CPU: E8400 (no OC, paired with a basic mobo, Asus P5KPL SE Socket 775)
    Graphics: 260GTX (216 version)
    RAM 4GB @ 1066 MHz
    HDD: Green Western Digital 320GB (not sure if I want to upgrade this)
    Case: Antec P180-B (no upgrading this either)
    PSU: Seasonic 650W (no upgrading this either unless it's really a must)
    Display: Acer H223HQ (low quality one, TN panel 1080p...)

My first thought was of getting a bigger display, since I live in a small house and we use the display for watching movies on the sofa (~6 feet away) as well as a pc gaming display.

However, on seeing that the 27" monitors with XHD went for £400+ I fell back, hoping that next year will lower those prices (since XHD is coming to laptops and all).

So now the plan is to upgrade the rig itself. I must say that up to now it's been good enough for almost any games, but the age is starting to show. 1080p on max settings is a no-go on most games (if I want 20+FPS) and it can't do DX11.

That being said, what do you think I should priorize?

My own opinion is that the graphic card should come first, since the main use is gaming, but I don't know whether CPU or SDD should come second :sigh:

Thus, I'd go for a 660 TI + CPU/MOBO upgrade (i5 2500k?) and call it a day, but that's because last time I checked SSD tech was too pricey and they broke much faster than a HDD.

The budget is.. limitless! (oh, come on, less than £600) . That being said, I want to spend just as much as it's needed to reach a decent performance for a couple of years (no i7 + GTX690 please!)

Extra: the upgrades can be used to boost my gf's own computer, which won't need as much processing (she's going for photoshop design, but she uses a C2D laptop atm, so it'll be a HUGE upgrade for her :p), so it's not so bad to change more!

Update: I've got an offer for a Dell 2408WFP @ £140 with 2 years' use, but I'm doubtful about it: the panel technology is said to have more ghosting than IPS (and TN, of course) and, according to reviews, colour is hard to calibrate.

Update 2: I've never had a sound card besides the integrated one. Do they make any difference in performance? I don't care much for the quality of the sound itself, since I'm using a simple 2.1 audio system (or headsets).

Also, I think I might as well upgrade to 27", for which my candidate is the LG IPS277L, priced at roughly £240.

Please help!

Last edited: 7 Nov 2012