1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Upgrading to a 4870

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Psy-UK, 22 Jan 2009.

1. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

So I'm upgrading to a Sapphire 1GB 4870(!) from an old 8800GTS 320MB but I have a few questions.

1) My current card is connected by a cable with a 6-pin connector on one end and 6-pin connector on the other end which goes straight into the powersupply. Now I'm wondering if another cable is supplied with the card as all I can find when I search for a such a cable is something like this.

2) I plugged my card into the other 6-pin slot on the powersupply and when the computer was booted up a HUGE HIGH-PITCHED NOISE burst out of the PSU. So is it worth the risk of plugging the second cable for the 4870 into the connector which causes the high-pitched noise, or would you recommend buying a new PSU?

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

HUGE HIGH-PITCHED NOISES are not good...

What's your current PSU (brand/wattage/etc.)?

- Diosjenin -

3. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

Jeantech Artic 600W

4. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

That power supply doesn't come with any built in 6-pin PCI-e connectors does it?, that may be the issue as the graphics card may not be getting enough power which has been an issue with other 4870's causing High Pitched Noises coming from the "speakers" not the power supply.

Basically, Make sure it's coming out of your power supply and not your speakers, I think the resolution may be a replacement PSU but there may be other reasons why this is happening. I have a feeling you where right to assume it would be best to buy a new PSU but wait for other replies in this topic to see if there is another fix.

For those of you wondering,

Jeantech Artic 600w
    2 x 12v Rails (19a each) totaling 38 amps, which should be enough to power his setup, but I've googled a few things about it and it seems that a few of these Power Supplies have had issues with only supplying 348w - 425w of total power.

5. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

Just to clarify; the high-pitched noise only happened when my current card was plugged into the other 6-pin connector. When I plugged it back into the connector it's always been connected to the noise disappeared.

I shall see if it was the speakers as I know they were turned on when I booted up.

6. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

If it only does this when you use the other cord I can only suggest you don't use that cord?

7. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

But the 4870 will need that to use that one as it takes two power connectors. :(

8. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

Ah! I just read that the card is supplied with a cable with 2 molex connectors that form into a 6-pin so there will be no need to use the other problematic 6-pin connector. \o/

9. Diosjenin

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 500W. PCI-E cables: 1x6-pin, 1x6+2-pin (i.e. it could handle a 4870 X2 or a GTX 280 if you really wanted it to). And assuming you live in the US, it's crazy cheap. Haven't looked it up in the UK, though.

- Diosjenin -

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'd say the "UK" part in his name is there for a reason... :p

PP&C PSUs are top notch, but usually quite expensive (unless, perhaps, you live in the US). Luckily, there's always the old stalwart, the Corsair series. I'd say any PSI in their line-up from 500W upwards should do the trick. Corsair recommends the HX520W, which I own, for a HD4870 X2, which has a certain "higher" power draw, to put it politely. :)

I tend to agree that you should consider looking into upgrading your PSU, while you're at it. I'm certainly not liking hearing about high pitched whines coming from the PSU, whatever the cause.

11. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

The 2 x Molex to 1 x PCI-e 6-pin should work if you still get the loud noises I imagine you'll need a new power supply.

12. Diosjenin

Whoops. :duh:

Well, names are a disability for me in real life, too. Guess now you know why.

- Diosjenin -