1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent - What could this be?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ColdArmor, 16 May 2007.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Your mobo is screwed. Sorry. Take out the HDD and connect it to another PC to retrieve your data.

For backing up vital project work USB memory sticks are your friend.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Or if you don't have one/won't buy one, something like hotmail (e-mail it to yourself as an attatchment) is very useful.

3. ColdArmor

ColdArmor What's a Dremel?

Well I re-did the project and got it in on time, now it's just about fixing my computer. I have a Socket A Athlon XP CPU and no enough $$ to upgrade to the 64's

so god help me in finding a MOBO for it..

:( any suggestions? the only one i see is the pc chips one that is everywhere on the net, im not sure about the quality of pc chips products but it looks to be the only option.

any suggestions? right now im looking on newegg for a cheap 64 AM2 socket and then a mobo for it also

i have a question, if i do upgrade, will i hav eto totally re-install windows or can i get reinstall the new drivers for the new mobo and have it recognize the new cpu?

Last edited: 19 May 2007
  4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you upgrade, you'll need to reinstall windows.

Your best bet (imo) is to find a socket A board on eBay, you'll probably find an identical one to the board that just died for pretty much nothing.

5. ColdArmor

ColdArmor What's a Dremel?

well im thinking of upgrading everything now, will athon 64 (64bit cpu) run on 32bit windows? I heard there is a different windows for athlon 64 processors.

6. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

you can get a 64 bit version of windows, but your existing copy of 32 bit windows will work perfectly without any problems.
    you just need to get the 32 bit drivers if you stick with 32bit windows

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Keep in mind that 64 bit Windows will need 64 bit drivers, and many devices still have not got those yet.