1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US wireless broadband project hits snag

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Apr 2011.

1. blink

blink stay cold

Well we tried that, and not by raising taxes but rather by giving the large telecom companies their wishes in the form of deregulation and tax BREAKS for several years beginning in the early to mid 90s. This was done with the expressed understanding that they would use that money to upgrade the infrastructure. Guess what they did? They sat on the money, called it profit and continued to raise their rates.

http://www.alternet.org/story/148397/how_the_phone_companies_are_screwing_america%3A_the_$320_billion_broadband_rip-off?page=entire

Most people really do not realize how bad it is over here in terms of the marriage between big money corporations and the U.S. government. There is zero accountability for corporations. This past year General Electric, one of the largest corporations in the world, made a profit of 14 billion and they not only paid no taxes, they were actually GIVEN 3 BILLION dollars by our government.

http://news.firedoglake.com/2011/03/28/ge-pays-no-taxes-wants-workers-to-accept-cuts/

Besides being an absolutely INSANE culture/society with a completely ignorant and intentionally dumbed-down citizenry, the truth of the matter is that our political system has evolved into Inverted Totalitarianism and Managed Democracy.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Inverted_totalitarianism

In short, sans a populist revolt on the scale of Egypt or larger, we are ****ed as a people and a nation.

2. Xyllian

Xyllian What's a Dremel?

So the problem is the government, monopoly and the lawsystem. It is the same here sadly, althoug not to the same extent (the latest occurance was a week or so ago, 3 fired bosses of the government owned electricity company was given 92million swedish kronor each, straight out of the taxpayers pockets).

We live in a corrupt ****ing world my friend.

3. blink

blink stay cold

Yes, a screwed up world indeed. Sorry though, you being fortunate enough to live in Sweden, you'll get little sympathy from me:) 92 million? That's nothing. The American tax-payer "bailed out" the criminals on Wall Street to the tune of nearly $1 TRILLION lol. Iceland did the correct thing. They let the thieving, fraudulent banks fail.

Like I said, the American people are idiots for what we allow. And that is not even bringing up the constant meddling and war-making we engage in. We are sick beyond recovery as a culture.

4. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

GPS is used in dozens (hundreds?) of applications, many (most?) of which will not be able to upgraded with some of these devices having catastrophic results if there is a failure.

How many applications will a national help with? I can think of a few, it's always nice to do a quick search to find some little bit of info, or post a little information onto the Internet. These applications are fairly limited though and really can be substituted by having a smart phone which uses a frequency which doesn't interfere with our precious GPS.

Now smart phones can't work for everyone, there are still regions (rural cities in the flyover states), where the basic network infrastructure is lacking, the bandwidth here is too limited and may overwhelm the existing towers. The solution, short range radio networks like microwave relays mounted on the homes. The install will be as simple as a DirectTV dish and a single tower could cover a small town without producing much interference.

5. blink

blink stay cold

Oh, and I am not sure how I forget to include this in my first post but do you know what happens to smaller communities here in the U.S. who can't get decent broadband and so they decide to build their own community owned and operated network? They are first SUED and then the big telecoms, who literally write the telecommunications policy and laws that get enacted, get their bought-and-paid-for government officials to introduce legislation that effectively makes such publicly owned broadband networks impossible. No, I am not making this up.

http://www.muninetworks.org/

6. Xyllian

Xyllian What's a Dremel?

Blink, i was not asking for your sympathy but that doesent mean 91x3million sek (a total of about 35million dollars) is ok by any means. It seems to be a pretty ****ed up country you live in to allow such things, same goes for afghanistan but that is for another day.

7. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Americans are all implanted with GPS trackers now are they? I learn something new every day

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

well, proportionally, your point is absolutely correct. but realistically, the continental united states alone is of the largest countries in the world - in both physical size and population. fiber wire isn't cheap. i'm not exactly sure how the western states are connected to the eastern states, but i highly doubt they use a fiber wire for that, because that alone would be extremely expensive and unprofitable.

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Why is it that the reasons sound entirely bs? Probably because it is.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I couldn't tell you of the exact construction, but can say that connecting two regions to each other will demand speeds that are massive compared to what individuals see and will be costly. You're right on the money for why a higher speed backbone would be so expensive, though.

Sweden is similar in size (and shape) to the state of California. It's quite easy to see on a map why it's cheaper to cover the entirety of it compared to the US. Even as a nationwide project it's on an incredibly smaller (and cheaper) scale. The distance between two major exchange points here rivals the span of the entire country of Sweden. Canada is the place to look if you want to compare similar options and challenges, a large area country with dispersed high density population centers. Covering everyone with fiber is laughably expensive, and taxing those in rural areas for a line that only benefits urban centers is out of the question. At least the U.S. has the benefit of a higher total population to ask for such a thing.

11. blink

blink stay cold

12. paulp

paulp What's a Dremel?

Hi Speed Internet should be available

Hi speed internet should be available to everyone at home. Its the more basic service that all Americans should have available.

We also want the next generation to grow up with this and to be more tech savvy which will help them be better workers, more productive and getting better salaries. :clap:

13. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Well, turns out here in Colombia we dont have bandwidth cap :blah: ... 40$ for unlimited Data Plan.. web surfing or whatever you do with it... ofc this is due to the fact our cellphone network still have a lot of bandwidth to work with, not many people have this plans.

How much would you say it would be the bill or full Data PLan usage over there versus the wireless, because I understand bandwidth cap its also present on wired or wireless conections too!

Tags: Add Tags