1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB 2.0 Card Reader

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 25 Apr 2002.

1. macroman

macroman The One

2. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

He He - Is it just me, or is that one of those old M & M holder with the top part of his head cut off!! Looks nice though, I have to admit I prefer the upright design for loading/unloading... far easier than the ususal desktop ones that move backwards as you try and load media into them...

3. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Ok not that I'm slow or anything, and not that I've only just finished reading your sterling review macro, but... why does it need a power cord at all?

I always thought one of the nice things about usb was that the device you plugged in could suck a fair amount of power out of the port - my vibrating mouse, my cf card reader (with 2 leds!) - does it take a lot more power to i/f with USB 2.0? If so why didn't they make the port capable of supplying this power?

As you showed the speed different for a USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 cf card readers didn't differ by very much... having to cope with an extra cable makes the upgrade even less attractive :(

Heh I don't like cables, can you tell? ;)

Cheers,

r.

4. macroman

macroman The One

The card reader requires more power than the USB port can provide. (500mA), The readers PSU is rated @ 2.3A. Hey I didn't design the thing, just reviewed it ;). BTW USB 2.0 is backwards compatable with USB 1.1 so it can't demand more power than USB1.1 can deliver - hence an external supply.

The USB reader allows the CF card to run at maximum speed. USB 1.1 maxs out before the card does. The results show USB 2.0 to be approp 2x faster with the card used for testing. Since when has any progressive upgrade been twice as fast? :rolleyes:

The card used in the review is rated at 10x but faster cards are available, and like everything else as the technology improves, so the cards will get even faster very soon. USB 2.0 will make use of that USB 1.1 is already not up to the job for current cards. :D

The review reader is not much dearer than a USB 1.1 reader so for me it's a no brainer on which is the better. :D

5. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I apreciate what you say :) I was more after a reason for it needing 500mA - seems a lot for a reader when USB 1.1 readers can function happily on unpowered hubs...

Cheers,

r.

Tags: Add Tags