1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Koolvin, 1 Nov 2001.

1. choovak

choovak What's a Dremel?

HOW?!

All I want to know is how did he get the port cutouts to be so exact. No way would I be able to do that with my dremel. :eek:

Did he use a jigsaw? or filed it for 8 hours?

2. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Actually, I didn't think of that, How DOES MM get such precise bay covers?

Although I'd believe he has the patience to file them down to an exact fit, I don't think he's THAT pedantic?

3. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

He must have been a train spotter as a child.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

I believe he part drilled out the holes, then hand-filed them with a needle for precision.....If there was one word to describe Macroman...precision is it...

5. macroman

macroman The One

I drilled out the bulk of the holes and used needle files to shape and tidy them up. Using the right tools it doesn't take that long, the entire mod took about an hour from start to fitting in the case. (excluding time for taking the photographs). Drilling the leds does require a steady hand. :D

6. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I R LOVE THIS MOD

sweet work dude

7. Lordflash

Lordflash What's a Dremel?

I wish Macroman would stop doing his mods purly for the fact the workmanship is excellent he ideas are good and above all he has a seriously nice case. Problme is now everytime I look at mine i think its compleatly pants in comparison

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Hehe he is very good at that isnt he :D

9. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

Macroman is an extremely neat modder, and this USB mod once again proves it!

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Macro on [H]

11. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

I know

I thought my case was pretty sweet until Macro man did that Macro Case.

Now I look at it all the time and feel like throwing the case out
    =(

So unfair

12. SpikeyJake

SpikeyJake What's a Dremel?

macroman how did you cut the fiberoptics . I nick a good 2meter length from a job where we had striped out some old data cables . Ive had a go at putting the fiberoptics to an led and it seams to be not as bright as the led . Do you have any tips for cutting the stuff and also in the maplin`s cat it says about polishing the ends . Did you do this if so how did you go about it .

thx for any help

oh nice mod , but do you not think it spoils the clean look of your case . A stealth usb hub would have suited your case a lot more me thinks . Anyway still a nice mod :)

13. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Personally, it may just be my view

but stealth USB sucks

I plug my cam into it around 3 times, joystick in and out twice and I've broken the door off

I like MM's approach

Looks so l33t.

14. Hi-TEK

Hi-TEK What's a Dremel?

That's what I love to hear that people are benefitting from the work that goes on at all the modding sites. I mod because I love to do it and help out others with my expertise when I can. Not all of us are in it for the money :)

15. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

People make money from modding?

HOW?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH

I want in

16. Dorkorama

Dorkorama What's a Dremel?

I bought a nearly identical insternal USB bay (sans 5 1/4" adapter.) I haven't done any real modifications on anything yet, but I performed one of my many component swaps on the bay:

Unscrewing the clamp permitted me to take out the USB cable included with the kit. I replaced it with a 4-wire CD-ROM analog audio cable and resecured the clamp. This allowed me to connect the hub to the motherboard inside the case instead of having an ugly cable-n-hole out back (as well as leaving another port open.) Finding a 4-wire cable may be a bit tricky since most CD-ROM drive maufacturers include a cheap 3-wire version these days (which is an electrical no-no.) I ended up finding mine in a few year old case.

I know that macroman said that his motherboard USB is unreliable, but I imagine that the USB card he added has internal headers. ;)

Last edited: 4 Nov 2001
  17. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

My internal USB socket has 8 pins and is in a 4x2 formation

Where do I get a plug to fit this?

I have the function of each pin in a table, but I need to know how to wire this up to a usb hub etc?

18. Dremel_Freak

Dremel_Freak What's a Dremel?

MM, how did u cut the fibre flush with the faceplate and secure it. I'm gonna do something similar soon so I don't want to screw it up?

Awesome workmanship.

19. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

super glue and a sharp utility knife?

20. Dorkorama

Dorkorama What's a Dremel?

My mobo has the same 4x2 formation. This is two 4-pin USB headers for two USB Root Hubs. Both USB and 4-wire CD-ROM audio cable are straight through connections.

All I did is connect the end to one set of four pins and fired up my computer. This first attempt didn't work (I tested with a game pad), so I shut down, flipped the connector around, and booted up again. Voila! All four ports on the bay hub came to life.

This brings up a good point, though. I forgot that on some motherboards the headers (connectors) are based on a "5-pin" arrangement, instead of a four (which harkens back to some PS/2 arrangements.) Unfortunately I don't know the pin-out arrangement on this, but I suspect that it is identical to a 4-pin excepet that one of the five pins on the mobo either is not connected to anything or not present (leaving a gap.) If true, there are a few ways to modify the connection; I'll try to write some of my better ideas here, later.

Tags: Add Tags