1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usenet Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Poisonous, 26 Nov 2007.

1. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Can anyone recommend me an easy to use newsgroup client. Currently using News Rover, and it sucks donkey doo dars. First off using News Rover I selected it to use "My Documents" to store files that it has downloaded, I click OK on the setting, go into "My Documents" and it's deleted everything that was in there.. :|

No matter, I download a few bits and bobs, and it was going nice and fast, around 2mb/s. Now it's crawling along bearly breaking 50kb/s. It's not the connection, as I can download via torrents close to my max speed if it's seeded well.

Is it the crappy program? Either way I don't like the interface of News Rover, so could someone please recommend me another client. Needs to be free, and lack any sort of adware.

2. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

I've never tried News Rover, and it's been a couple of years since using nttp for NG's (I use Easynews.com for ease), but I used to find Forte Agent really good - I haven't checked, but I'm assuming it's still about.

3. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Have to pay for that.

4. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

5. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Been a while but used to use PAN, not on Windows however. Was the best of the Linux clients I can remember trying. Way back in the day used to use XNews on Windows, from what I can remember it was OK :)

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

newsleecher

worth paying for imo

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

For binaries I use two freebies, XNews for browsing a few groups and Alt.Binz for searching. Both will download to any specified folder, Alt.Binz will de-compress and tidy up unnecessary files (eg, pars) if you so wish once the download has been checked but that's all.

For text ngs, Outlook Express WFM. :)

8. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Thanks chaps. Looks like I'll buy newsleecher.