1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Users revolt after The Pirate Bay's sale

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Jul 2009.

1. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

but that the issue, why is it wrong? speed limits are in place for your safety and others and well piracy is greed on both sides. One wanting the consumer to pay as much as possible, and the comsumer wanting to pay as little.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

TPB closing... somehow, it never really bothered me.
    It's one of those things where i have to think that it's the first of many sites that's getting slammed... who knows what's next.
    I don't see it as a breach of my "rights" or as a "stepping stone in the movement to make me pay for the internet". There's plenty of free internet to go around, and plenty of advertisers that are willing to pay the price in return for someone seeing their logo.
    The day i have to pay to read an article littered with adverts, i will start having issues.
    For now, i think TPB got what they deserved, and might even have gotten off easy...
    Piracy is like DUI - we've all done it, possibly occasionally still do it, and we're all aware of the fact that you don't wanna get caught.
    Running a site like TPB is kinda like giving beer to 18 year olds while they're driving daddy's car... you get caught, you get f****d, even though _you_ might not have done anything wrong.
    It's the law... deal with it...

3. miloshs

miloshs What's a Dremel?

Seriously man, you couldn't have said it better... i tottaly agree with you

Also i have to add if i really had the money id definately buy all my games. Some right away and some after they get discounted...

Last edited: 2 Jul 2009
  4. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

It is wrong because somebody put money into it. the part about greed is definetly true, but it applies to all products whatsoever.

there are a few diffrences with digital media, og is taht it is easy to distribute and hard to track. one other thing is that whan you by a car and it breaks down or drives like a trashcan on wheels, you get your money back or get it fixed, if you by a game/video and don't like it, well that's your problem, nobody are going to redesign a game (repair) just because you didn't like it, nor will they ever give you your money back because it crashes all the time.

this leads to people risking bying a bag of ***** every time they by a game, with no refund.

5. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

They would go to jail anyways. It wouldn't matter if the site is sold or not. And yes I D/L some pirated software. There would be NO way to learn Photoshop and 3D Studio and such without a pirated version! I don't work with them and make no money with them, so, theres no way i would spend money with them too.

Edit: Not because i don't want, but simply because i don't have the money! I would love to own a legal version of the master collection CS4. And if someday i make some thick fat money i will certainly buy it! Until them Demonoid it is!

Last edited: 2 Jul 2009
  6. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Well, TPB selling their site - i think it's an excellent slap in the face to the MAFIAA just because of the reason that they do not understand the basics of a torrent site. Same parallel would be with cars, should we put the guys making cars in jail, because people drink and drive and crash and kill bystanders with their driving? And every year all around the world maybe millions die of car accidents every year. For some reason no one bothers with the car manufacturers.

Piracy is bad, because it hurts the developers. Buying a car that twice a day has problems with the gearbox and in order to get it working again you would have to stop on the highway, wait 5 minutes and start the car again is also bad.
    Buying a game is good. Buying a game that maybe is a piece of crap for 50 euros is also bad.

It's imho like a "witch's circle" - games are too expensive, so people download. Yet publishers make games more expensive, because people download.

Adding DRM doesn't help, vice versa i think - in the end all it does is hurts the people buying the software. No way would I ever buy music, if i am not allowed to make a CD copy to listen in a car for example(itunes example).

The list goes on and on. But, there will always be downloaders just for the same reason, because people don't like the control that the corporations want to have over their content after you buy it for yourself.

Another example - a game costs 50 euros, and 1 million people buy it. "Woohoo great sales result!". Put the same game on the market for 10 euros, and 10 million people buy it. Numbers are of course my imagination, but I guess that would be something similar.

Like Eastern Europe where I'm from - average salary per month here is around maximum 600 euros. With costs for apartment rent hovering somewhere around 200 euros or more. No way have many people money to pay 50 euros per game that might suck. And even if they know it's absolutely great, you have to sacrifice other stuff.

It's a point which I don't understand in a way - after you develop your software, your actual costs in producing those discs is near zero. Why don't companies realise that? Sell a great game when it comes out for 10 euros a piece, and even the more poor people(which are the vast majority in the world), will see that the hassle with piracy is not just worth it, and problem solved.

My few thoughts on the matter anyway.

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

that's right, it's just 10kph over the limit, which is not noticeable at all... and cops don't care either as everything I see one radaring, I just drop from 120 to 110 and i'm fine

8. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

the thing is that gaming is a luxury not a necessity, so if you cant afford to buy the game dont play it.

if you cant afford a car do you go steal one?

yes a game may suck that's what review sites and demos are for... metacritic is an excellent source of info regarding this. I bought most my games this year apart from one or two that i ran across on a friends drive that i used as a demo instead of downloading the demo.

there is the argument that people buy games that they downloaded and only download to demo, but thats BS.

9. viking88

viking88 What's a Dremel?

Some commenters got get the idea behind the PB but other comments on here show how little people understand and know the origins of the internet.. I particularly liked the commenter who said everyone should always pay for everything on the internet.

And that thinking content should be free shows how spoiled you are if you subscribe to that...

Please if you love paying for content so much please come back in 10 years and tell me how much you love spending cash for spider botted generic content on corporate sites.That make you pay each time you login or make you prepay cash for points that get used on each login. Watch your bank account go to zero just like the internet surfing numbers will.

You know I love it when people trying to make money off their own website/s shout the loudest for charges for this and that and everything else under the sun on the internet and insult others who really know a little about the subject matter, especially on Bit-tech which is one of the biggest corporate owned and run websites on the net, the owner prints and sells magazines for what used and still are a high price to buy and because print is slowly dying because the owners think the free content on the internet is the guilty culprit so they advertise this and try to make others think everything on line should be paid for after all you pay an ISP to get online YADDA YADDA, so they try to get into the website biz and begin lobbying for paid content on websites yet totally miss or intentionally ignore the fact that print magazines are really dying out because of the high cover prices they charge and the rubbish journalism that most mags nowadays contain.

So the owners now want to shift it all to the internet and make you all pay for crap content on there also. And they pay small minded gremlins to troll message boards slagging down other comment users with an opposite opinion (have you read anything like this recently?)
    So with the Pirate Bay closing down and/or being sold I guess the slobbering and hand rubbing is at maximum at such a good propaganda chance like this coming their way...

Did I mention it was FREE?

Last thought!! I know when every website and their dog is asking for money we the humble people who use the internet should ask to be paid for each comment we type on any website.

All my comments are copyrighted and I want royalties as well LOL what a megalomaniac I sound like... Remind you of anything or someone???

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Jul 2009
  10. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

mininova is going to have to beef up its servers and set up a few new seedboxes to cope with the massive influx of leecher nubs from tbp!

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

viking: Was the twin towers an inside job too? Did we fake the moon landings? :p

12. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

To view this post, please deposit £1.50 into ShakeyJake's account.

13. bubblegun

bubblegun What's a Dremel?

Why do people seem to think mininova is a tracker?

Mininova and isohunt are just search engines like google they don't function as torrent trackers. You'll find that more than 50% of their torrents are tracked by The Pirate Bay and this is the real danger for the "bit torrent" community, and also the reason Pirate Bay became such a crucial take-down target for the MPAA, RIAA, etc.

This new development may kill off The Pirate Bay as we know it but I think they may have a plan. They need to separate the tracker from the search engine to give them a stronger legal position. The search engine is just like google, etc. The tracker is kept separate from this and is an open public tracker that anyone can post to. Separately neither of these is illegal but the two together is why they lost their legal case.

These are just my thoughts on what may not be such a bad thing.

14. Mithyx

Mithyx There is no Dremel

I read that as 110 MPH and thought "Wow... worst argument I've seen in a while"

Of course I figured out what you were saying, but I had a good laugh before that.

I don't see why Fox, NBC, CBS, BBC, etc don't put out TV shows with advertisements out there? It's the same concept as TV. They're broadcasting it that way to TV for free. There shouldn't be any difference with putting it on the internet for free. There would still be pirated versions with the ads removed, but I'm pretty sure people would download the legal versions more often than not.

Games, the demos they release should be twice as long and shouldn't be gimped on features (Single player demo only, no multiplayer and vice versa). The only legitimate purpose I see on pirating is seeing if you like the game before you buy it... or if you bought it already and don't want to mess around with the DRM they included.

Not sure what to do about movies, though. Those always have been and always will be pirated... even if they ended up going back to shakeycam vids. Best bet would be to make going to the theater more of an experience. There's one place near here that plays older movies but has half of the rows of seats switched to tables. They serve pizza, burgers, drinks, etc. If they did that kind of thing for new movies I'd go to 2-4 movies a month :D

15. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Are these people serious? Crying because they cant get stuff for free anymore?

Get a job and pay for stuff like the rest of us decent people.

16. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

i am shocked to see this happen , yeh i have downloaded lots from there . but it usually ends up with me purchasing legal copies (75%) if i like the film - music - app i downloaded . i know it is wrong but why should i pay for some thing i don't like .

example , i did download war of the worlds , i did enjoy the film so when it was released i got it . i know my comments will upset some , but what is the point of paying for a film you don't like to be sat on your shelf for years , not to be watched . i know its wrong to download what is not yours or what you have not payed for , but it helps me save what little cash i have in this day and age .

(awaits flame)

Tags: Add Tags