1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics using a pot knob as an on/off switch too?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mcshaggy, 16 May 2004.

1. mcshaggy

mcshaggy What's a Dremel?

how could i use a knob on a pot as an on off switch, or just the pot as a whole? id like to have just knobs on my fan/light/etc controller rather than some switches as well as knobs (i want to be able to turn lights off at certain times, etc.)

2. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

You can get pots with a built in switch, if thats what you mean. Turns the switch contacts off when you rotate them fully anti clockwise IIRC.

3. mcshaggy

mcshaggy What's a Dremel?

other than that theres no way to easily make pushing on a knob function as a switch?

4. coorz

coorz Miffed

There are also pots with a pushbutton function.

5. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

So I'm not quite following... Do you want to have a knob that you push on, or that you turn? If you simply want one you can push on - find a pushbutton and mount a knob on it. If you want a knob that rotates - you could either find a pot with a built in switch, a rotary switch, or you could rig up some fancy electronics (first thing that comes to mind is to use a comparator - but I'm sure someone more clever than I can suggest something better if that is what you want) so that it will be on at one resistance, and off at another resistance.