1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a PSU upside-down?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ol!ver, 26 Apr 2004.

1. Ol!ver

Ol!ver What's a Dremel?

I think I'm just going to use mine until I can afford a silenx tbh. I bought it to be silent.
    Ive read somewhere that the noise is on all PSUs that use PFC though, something about the way it moderates the power used.

Oli

2. Monster63385

Monster63385 What's a Dremel?

Actually if your case is properly vented and has good airflow from the rest of the case fans i would say mount your psu with bottom fan upside down, just make sure if you do this cut a blowhole. because you would actually benefit by lowering the temp in the psu because the air outside the case, even above the case, is cooler than drawing the warm air from inside the case. So i say if you have good air flow without needing the psu fans the do the mod and let us know how it goes, just don't forget the blowhole over the psu or you will have a short lived psu.

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Whilst on the subject of noise polution... Does having a fan grill effect the noise levels of a fan? the fan on the side of the case in the main machine is making what seems like half the noise of the entire machine :duh: Is this simply because its a low quality, really noisy fan or because the grill is disrupting air flow enough to make annoying noise? BTW, the fan is taking air INTO the case... for some reason, it worked better than pulling it out.

4. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Can't remember where I read it now, but someone did a few professional noise tests a few years back, and noted that a fan 'pulling' air through a grill was quieter than a fan 'pushing' air through a grill. I have a couple of quiet Evercools at the back of my case, and the grills behind them make them sound at least twice as loud at full pelt.

Its like those crazy watercoolers at the moment. Most have noted that a fan pulling air thru their radiator is quieter than the other way round.

In your case, it just sounds like a cheap and nasty fan is the problem. I bought a pre-mod case with a side fan and it was bloody noisy even without the grill. So it had to go.

Grills are a necessary evil i guess. Having managed to take chunks out of my finger on two occasions with my quiet Zalman fan, i would certainly say so :)